why google group?

Keiko Sono

Nov 29, 2011, 11:06:25 PM11/29/11
to woodstock-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I received an inquiry as to the reason for Google group, so I thought I would forward my reply to everyone. I'm not much experienced with it either, so if I'm wrong about any of this, please let me know.

I believe you can receive email from the group without creating a Google account. Could someone who does not have a google account shoot me an email to let me know your received this message?

> There are quite a few people who don't want their email addresses disclosed, so I've been sending email with everyone's addresses in bcc. This way no one can email the group but myself. This group is a leaderless one where we need an open space for discussion. Google group discloses names but not full email addresses (though it's rather easy to figure this out from the members' list...), but anyone can send messages to the group.
>
> There are many added benefits, such as having a discussion forum among the members but also visible to non-members. This is of interest to me, because topics such as water management should be open to the world as an added voice to this important global concern. We can also upload files such as documents, images, and videos, without having to send them to each email recipient.
>
> But the biggest reason, in my mind, is that it protects us from the virus that infects the mail software and sends out links to everyone in the email list. If I pass on to anyone who wants to communicate with the group the entire list, that would increase the risk of exposing the list to virus.
>
> Hope this answers your question. And yes, you do have to create an account with a password, if you want to be active in the group. I don't think you need an account if you just want to receive email from the group.

Keiko