Detroit Anagama & Dart Estate Sale

gary navarre

Sep 24, 2013, 4:25:06 AM9/24/13
to cla...@ceramicist.org
Hey Folks,

 Time to break out the cutting torch so we can make a hole through the metal roof over the kiln

 I haven't used a torch since the early '70's when I worked in a scrap yard so I'll let Schawn the foundry repair guy donate his skill, besides, I don't need credit for doing it all myself anymore and I need to learn to let others lend a hand (even if they don't do it perfect).

 Gawaine Dart is one of my junior college teachers and had to move to assisted living nearer his daughter in New Jursey. He was living alone after taking care of Jane until she passed a few years ago. Both were influential in the education of art skills to many students at Eastern Michigan University and Henry Ford Community College.  I managed to pick up half a dozen pieces at the end of the first day and regret not going back for more pots by Dart and a couple others like Gorden O'Rear and another Bill Pitney. I had seen a Leach and a Hamada on a shelf many years ago but they were gone. Here's a peek at a few ...

http://public.fotki.com/GindaUP/ca/gjeas/

  The large plate is for my daughter Andrea and the box by Jane is for Brynn. One bowl didn't have a price so the sales lade said, "Oh, that's raku. 4 bucks." Well it is really stoneware and has a vary fine brushed Gold decoration on the rim and following the flow line between contrasting glaze color. Now I have one of those how'd he done it moments.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA