Re: [Clayart] copper red

Lee

Feb 9, 2013, 10:42:11 AM2/9/13
to New ClayArt Mailing List, WoodKiln, ClayCraft
On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Patty Kaliher <pa...@pattykaliher.com> wrote:

pieces and hit or miss reduction, I took a trick from Tom Coleman.  I made a
sagger, drilled some 1/4 inch holes in it and set it over my copper red
pieces in the kiln.  It worked well.  Seems the reduction did suck all the
oxygen thru the small holes and the copper reds were lovely.

Many of the works in  traditional woodkilns were fired in saggers.   Not only to protect them from ash, but also, to mediate the cyclical atmospheres of the large woodkilns.   Traditional woodkilns were fired differently in the past, often with the firemount unbricked, so oxygen freely entered the kiln on each stoke cycle.   In Korea, with the climbing kilns, they fire with an open firemouth and complete firings in 17 hours.   The work is primarily oxidized.

          Hamada's teacher Itaya Hazan researched Chinese Sung pots and used what he learned to make tenmoku tea bowls.   When I first started visiting the Idemitsu Museum in Tokyo, in their shard room, they had a wonderful display of Hazan's shards and tenmoku saggers. The saggers were very close fitting, and the lids were sealed with clay.    Some of the examples were of the tenmoku bowls fused inside broken saggers.

     Saggers are very much worth exploring.

Hazan Images:

--
 Lee 李 Love in Longfellow,Minneapolis, MN USA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/togei/

 "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue