Center For Creative Studies Manabigama

gary navarre

Nov 22, 2012, 5:36:36 PM11/22/12
to cla...@ceramicist.org
Hey  Folks,

 A ways back in the mid sixties we affectionately refereed to the Art School of the Detroit Society of Arts & Crafts as just Arts & Crafts. I think all Jack Foster had to work with were a couple of electric kilns. A few years ago the entire campus was redeveloped and a new ceramics studio was expanded to include a 30cu.ft. VanGilder Manabigama wood burning kiln. Tom Pharedl gave Chriss Sneed, a young guy from Mississippi studying at Eastern Michigan University, the use of the kiln for a part of his thesis work and Chriss invited me to a firing of the kiln so I could get some fresh video. I apologize for the rough audio. Much of the background noise is from outside gas heaters or their loud radio so some dialog is hard to pick up.

 When I arrived the kiln was getting pretty warm ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxafDwcEjjc

 Later I get a chance to stoke a little ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nluv2jy0C8

 It would have been nice to have seen the unloading but who knows, I might have a go at firing a load with a couple other students in a while so stay tuned and stay in there eh.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Lee

Nov 23, 2012, 9:41:35 AM11/23/12
to wood...@googlegroups.com, cla...@ceramicist.org
On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM, gary navarre <navarreen...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 When I arrived the kiln was getting pretty warm ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxafDwcEjjc

 Later I get a chance to stoke a little ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nluv2jy0C8

Gary, where in Detroit is this located?   It it great to hear about the urban wood firers there.
--
 Lee Love in Minneapolis
http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/

 "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue

gary navarre

Nov 23, 2012, 12:55:54 PM11/23/12
to New ClayArt Mailing List, wood...@googlegroups.com
Behind the Detroit Institute of Arts on Kerby & John R

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Nov 23, 2012, 6:28:56 PM11/23/12
to wood...@googlegroups.com, New ClayArt Mailing List
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM, gary navarre <navarreen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Behind the Detroit Institute of Arts on Kerby & John R

Wow.    I grew up off John R, between 11 and 12 mile.    Do they ever offer pottery workshops?   I think they put on Mingei shows in the '50s.   I have an old catalog somewhere.

gary navarre

Nov 23, 2012, 9:29:38 PM11/23/12
to New ClayArt Mailing List, wood...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

 CCS is now fully accredited. Back in the '50's & '60's one of my teachers was John "Jack" Foster who was instrumental in promoting studio pottery at Arts & Crafts. Here is a shot of him with a few other local potters when Hamada made a visit ... http://public.fotki.com/GindaUP/ca/my_teacher/ohfds.htmlhttp://

 Here is a short tour of the new studio ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuxwpC0ull0

 Sometimes the Michigan Ceramic Artist Association had workshops around town but I haven't heard of any in years.

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Dearborn, Michigan, USA