Another Michigan Anagama potter

gary navarre

Jul 1, 2012, 2:49:09 PM7/1/12
to ClayArt
Hey Folks,

 Kiln demolition took a back seat to a road trip about a week ago that lasted way longer than planned. The van was loaded with a little over half a ton of potters wheel and other studio materials. I got on the road a little past noon and figured I could get about half way to Dearborn before evening and make a rest stop at Jeff Cline's kiln, a college buddy from Kalamazoo, to see what he came up with after all these years. A few miles before my destination a mile East of Cross Village, Michigan I caught sight of a doe on the right side past the road ditch close to the fence/woods line. She gave me a look, then turned her head toward the tree cover, and just about the time I figured she was gonna jump further right into the woods she leaps left 50' in two or three bounds into my path. I got my foot to the break peddle but with almost my load limit the momentum made much breaking somewhat pointless and I nailed her with the radiator and air conditioner condenser. Of course the hood got crumpled and a bunch of plastic broke but it kept running without any clattering so I drove on to Jeff's. Don't know what happened to the deer, last view I saw was her legs pointing at me as she flew off to the left about 7' from the pavement with the dumbest look on her face. I'll bet she became a Coyote feast. Needless to say I felt dumber than the deer but Jeff calmed me down and we dealt with it the next morning. It ended up taking a week to get the van mobile so I got a chance to be a tourist and even met a few neighbors. However the main event was to have Jeff show me around the kiln site and see some of the results 25 or so years of dedication can bring and let me do a video so here ya go Folks, thanks for watching and stay in there eh ...

Gary Navarre
Navarre Pottery
Navarre Enterprises
Norway, Michigan, USA