Craig and Lee In Korean Quarterly

Lee

Sep 18, 2013, 9:46:56 AM9/18/13
to WoodKiln, Craig Edwards, Craig Edwards
Inline image 1

 Lee 李 Love in Longfellow,Minneapolis, MN USA

 "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue
image1.jpg

rickma...@comcast.net

Sep 18, 2013, 5:10:07 PM9/18/13
to wood...@googlegroups.com

Lee, what is Korean Quarterly?  Is a local publication in the great white north or from Korea in English or?

Rick

image1.jpg

Lee

Sep 18, 2013, 5:41:01 PM9/18/13
to WoodKiln
Rick,

          It is a regional publication covering the Upper Midwest.    Minnesota the largest population of Korean adoptees in the country, over 20,000.    They outnumber the non-adoptee Korean American population here.   One of the editors sent me a jpg, I attach it below.   Here is their webpage:

 Lee Love in Minneapolis
http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/
korean quarterly Lee Craig.jpg

rickma...@comcast.net

Sep 18, 2013, 9:47:28 PM9/18/13
to wood...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

Thanks for your reply and the link.   It is interesting since the Seattle - Tacoma WA has a large population of Korean descent.  This is due to the US Army posting GI's who married Korean brides at Fort Lewis and McChord airbase near Tacoma due to the fact that this area had the highest tolerance for mixed marriages.  This is also the reason for the large number of Japanese women who were married to GI's in the generation before the Korean Conflict.
I wonder if any of my Korean friends know of this publication.

Rick

Sep 19, 2013, 7:23:20 PM9/19/13
to wood...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:47:28 PM UTC-5, rickma...@comcast.net wrote:
Lee,

I wonder if any of my Korean friends know of this publication.

        Rick, you could ask.  If you go to their webpage, I think they will send you the current issue free.   I wish we had a Japanese community paper here just a fraction of the size of the KQ.

            I think the adoptees and also the refugees here in the middle of the continent are to a large degree due to church sponsorship.

          We also have the second largest Tibetan community in N. America (maybe second largest outside of Tibet/Dharmasala), only second to the one in New York.   But, so as not to "offend" China, they were not given refugee status and received no government support.   They had to have guaranteed jobs, housing and insurance. provided by individuals, non-government organizations and students of Tibetan Buddhism.    We co-sponsored two Tibetan women just before we moved to Japan.   We lost track of them.   We get more Tibetan teachers visiting because of the community.   They also like to get checkups at the Mayo Clinic  (we had Japanese teacher do the same.)