[Jobs] 16 Independent Fellowships in AI in Science at Imperial College London

Nick Jones

Jul 26, 2024, 10:18:02 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 26
to Women in Machine Learning

16 Independent Fellowships in AI in Science

Ten 2-year Fellowships in AI in Science

Imperial invites applications for up to 10 independent fellowships dedicated to AI in Science in a program supported by Schmidt Sciences. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/ix-ai-in-science/ with a video here: Apply | Research groups | Imperial College London

This is part of over 130 years of fellowship time based in Imperial and extending over the next 4 years. These prestigious fellows ‘Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Postdoctoral Fellows, a program of Schmidt Sciences’ will be given bespoke training and 1-on-1 career development support and join a collocated cohort of top AI academics based in I-X, Imperial’s flagship AI initiative. The fellowships are flexible and independent, allowing recipients to freely explore while drawing on expert faculty mentors of their choice. a

As part of this call applications are also invited for prestigious Chapman-Schmidt Fellowships in AI for Science, a program of Schmidt Sciences, in the Department of Mathematics and I-X, commencing September 2025. There are several positions available, which will each be fixed term for 2 years

Our fellows will benefit from a dedicated Senior Teaching Fellow and Career Development consultant who will provide training and 1-1 technical and career-development advice. Researchers with a background in science might use the fellowships to deepen their AI skills to advance their science or researchers from an AI context might deepen their scientific knowledge. We have a programme of additional support for women in AI in Science including additional funds for their career development and a community of IX AI in Science women. We expect to appoint at least one candidate through this route. We will foster a culture of respect and empathy for others and purposeful happiness. Kindness among scientists will be a key theme in our centre. We will create opportunities for, and work with, the local community and researchers and students from Lower- and Middle-Income Countries.

Joint Fellowship with ICR and CNRS

We have partnered with the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) and the CNRS. If you are applying for one of these joint fellowships, we require that the principal mentor be in Imperial, but a secondary supervisor must be at ICR/CNRS. Please indicate if this is a joint fellowship by ticking the appropriate ICR/CNRS tick box in the online application form. Please note that these applications will require an institutional letter of support and ICR and CNRS will have their own internal process with a deadline ahead of the closing date below. The ICR deadline is 26 August 2024.You must contact Becky Cook (rebecc...@icr.ac.uk) at ICR and Carl Iamov carl.i...@cnrs.fr and/or Louis Avigdor louis....@cnrs-dir.fr at CNRS to confirm these internal processes and deadlines.

All roles will start on 1st September 2025 and further details about application and eligibility can be found at Apply | Research groups | Imperial College London

Six 4-year Independent Fellowships in AI in Science

Imperial invites applications for six independent 4-year fellowships dedicated to AI in Science in a program supported by Schmidt Sciences. This is part of over 130 years of fellowship time based in Imperial and extending over the next 4 years. These prestigious fellows ‘Imperial College Research Fellows, supported by Schmidt Scienceshttps://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/research-office/funder-information/research-fellowships/icrf/ will be given bespoke training and 1-on-1 career development support and join a collocated cohort of >20 top AI in Science fellows based in IX, Imperial’s flagship AI initiative.

The fellowships are flexible and independent, allowing recipients to freely explore while drawing on expert faculty mentors of their choice. These fellowships have the aim of identifying excellent researchers and accelerating them in using AI to advance and disrupt Science or Engineering. Our fellows will benefit from a dedicated Senior Teaching Fellow and Career Development consultant who will provide training and 1-1 technical and career-development advice. They will join the wider network of Schmidt Fellows including attending yearly AI in Science events organised by Schmidt Sciences.

Researchers with a background in science might use the fellowships to deepen their AI skills to advance their science or researchers from an AI context might deepen their scientific knowledge in a specific area. Prior expertise in AI is not required and AI is interpreted very broadly (covering themes from Bayesian Inference to Robotics).

We foster a culture of respect and empathy for others and purposeful happiness. Kindness among scientists is a key theme in our centre. We create opportunities for, and work with, the local community and researchers and students from Lower- and Middle-Income Countries.

Applicants should explore relevant departments directly and contact them with the overall deadline being 19 August 2024. See documentation for department-specific deadlines: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/research-office/funder-information/research-fellowships/icrf/information-for-applicants/

AI in Science specific queries to IX Centre for AI in Science Manager: e.b...@imperial.ac.uk

General ICRF queries: researchf...@imperial.ac.uk