Assistant/Associate Professor in Government and Artificial Intelligence at The University of Birmingham

Slava Jankin

Jun 30, 2024, 8:59:09 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to Women in Machine Learning

Dear colleagues,

The School of Government at the University of Birmingham welcomes applications at Assistant or Associate Professor level from candidates with research and teaching interests in computational social science and/or social data science.

We are seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to contribute to the Data Science and AI Initiative in the College of Social Sciences, which aims to expand AI and data science in the social sciences. This forms part of a sustained and increasing programme of investment in data science and AI research at the University of Birmingham.

We invite applications from candidates with expertise in computational methods and data science applications in political science, international development, and public policy. Successful candidate will contribute to the delivery of MSc AI and Government and MSc AI and Sustainable Development – joint programmes between School of Government and School of Computer Science. We expect successful candidates to be passionate about interdisciplinary research and teaching.

Successful candidates will possess (or be close to finishing) a PhD in a relevant field, a well-established research trajectory, evidenced by an outstanding record of publications, a passion for and capacity to conduct original research and to lead a research group. They will exhibit exceptional teaching proficiency and commitment to academic supervision. We are looking for individuals who are current and emerging leaders in the field.

Appointments are available at either Assistant (Grade 8) or Associate Professor (Grade 9) level. Job descriptions for each level are available here: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor. The level of appointment will be determined at the interview stage.

All applications must contain the following supporting documents via the online application system:

  1. Cover letter addressing your suitability for the role;
  2. Full CV and publication list, which should identify the applicant’s 3 most relevant/representative publications;
  3. Research statement (up to 3 pages);
  4. Teaching statement (up to 2 pages);
  5. Contact details for three referees.

The deadline for applications is 16 July. We will invite shortlisted candidates for an interview shortly thereafter.

Please direct any questions about the position to Professor Slava Jankin (v.ja...@bham.ac.uk) or Dr Timea Nochta (t.no...@bham.ac.uk).

The Centre for AI in Government is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities.

Best wishes,

Slava

_________

Slava Jankin

Professor of Data Science and Government

School of Government and School of Computer Science

Turing Academic Lead

University of Birmingham

Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK