Womack's in Oglethorpe Co., GA

Don

Jun 15, 2009, 11:51:43 AM6/15/09
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
I'm a little against the wall with this one. I have a Margaret "Mary"
Ann Womack, born July 12, 1793 in state unknown. Don't know if that's
her given name or previous marriage name. She apparently married
Drury/Drewry Silvey 16 Feb 1807. This family wound up in Campbell
Co., GA which is now part of Fulton Co.

I think that she is out of the Abe and Martha Mitchell bunch but can't
tie her to anybody. She almost ties with my Bird bunch there but got
nothing on that.

Anybody have a clue who this girl is?

Don

REB

Jun 15, 2009, 12:03:56 PM6/15/09
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Hi Don,

There were a lot of Warnocks in that area. Believe she was Margaret
Warnock who married Drury Silvey. I looked into this once, I'll try
to find my notes.

-Robert

REB

Jun 15, 2009, 12:16:30 PM6/15/09
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
I did some searches on ancestry:

Georgia Marriages to 1850 - looking for Warnock soundex in Oglethorpe
Co:

Liza Warnack Thomas W. Bacon 11 Jan 1810 Oglethorpe
Margaret Warnock Drewry Silon 16 Feb 1805 Oglethorpe
Thomas Warnock Charity Peters 19 Jan 1807 Oglethorpe
Rebecca Warnock John Miles 13 Oct 1808 Oglethorpe
John Warnock Martha Obryan 30 May 1817 Oglethorpe

Silvey in Oglethorpe:

Polly Silvey Colson Copland 11 Nov 1807 Oglethorpe
Caty Silvey Barbel Pratt 23 Mar 1814 Oglethorpe
Abraham Silvey Temperance Knapp 29 Nov 1815 Oglethorpe

******

Liza "Warnack" was acually Eliza Womack (Bird's sister), but the rest
were really Warnocks. Note Margaret Warnock married Drewry "Silon",
which I am sure is a mistake for Silvey. I found three other Silvey
marriage in Oglethorpe.
> > Don- Hide quoted text -

dfwo...@charter.net

Jun 15, 2009, 12:24:24 PM6/15/09
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Robert, thanks for your help. One thing that stays in back of my mind
is the "old" cursive writing. Haven't seen those records, but I HAVE
seen names that appeared to be "Warnock" that actually WAS Womack.
Just a thought. Too bad they couldn't write straight back then (I
still can't).

As far as I know, Bird's brother William was never married or had kids
but I think he was in Oglethorpe at that time. I know that Bird and
Rebecca (Sis) was.

Don

REB

Jun 15, 2009, 12:54:04 PM6/15/09
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Bird's sister Rebecca married Dennis Waddle/Waddell and stayed in VA.
She was in the 1850 Census of Prince Edward Co, VA and it says she was
80 years old and born in Chesterfield Co, VA:

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8054&iid=VAM432_970-0110&fn=Rebecca&ln=Waddill&st=r&ssrc=&pid=15446727

The Rebecca Wamack in Oglethorpe in the 1807 GA land lottery (http://
homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~reburke/lines/data/womack/ew/other/
ga_womack_records.html) was probably a WARNOCK.

See http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/oglethorpe/messages/564.html

ROBERT WARNOCK of Green Co., 11/6/1797:7/10/1800, p. 99 100
To my grandson John Warnock my Janus[?] horse; my son John to have the
said horse until he
seven years old when the horse is to be sold and the money put to
inter for my grandson, also my
silver watch and silver stock buckle. To my daughter Mary Warnock my
bed, trunk, etc. To
granddaughter Rosanah cow and calf. To daughter Rebeckah my riding
horse, ten barrels of
and 100 pounds of meat and iron kittle. To son John my gun, etc. Exr:
John Warnock. Wit: Edg.
Joe Key.

Notice that Robert Warnock had a grandaughter, Rebecca.

On Jun 15, 12:24 pm, "dfwom...@charter.net" <dfwom...@charter.net>

George Warnock

Aug 22, 2018, 5:06:21 PM8/22/18
to Womack Genealogy on the Web
Don,

     she is my 5th Great-Aunt and her name is Margaret Warnock ( not Womack )
she had a half brother named Thomas Warnock and their father was John Warnock
born in 1755 in Burke County but his father Robert Warnock came from
County Downs Ireland around 1730  and moved to oglethorpe county and died in Oglethorpe
county  Thanks

G MOR

Aug 23, 2018, 5:51:16 PM8/23/18
to georgewarn...@gmail.com, womack-geneal...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, but it was my understanding that the spelling did not denote a different family, but that both "Womack" & "Warnock," and even others are from the same family. I, like Don and George have both spellings in my family tree. It can depend on what port they arrived at, and even the individual who is recording at that port, who may just spell what they hear or misinterpret a signature. Or it can be more recent as I was in the 1st generation of my dad's family to be born in TX, rather than AL, and the TX faction for some reason added an "e" to the end of my grandmother's maiden name? No one seems to know why, but one of my AL cousins & I decided they either wanted to correct the spelling or  they simply wanted it to look more French!

Gayle

Gayle

"As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow
of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained
people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon
burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually
constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into
despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in
his heart he dreams himself your master." -- Pravin Lal, Alpha Centauri