Announcing WOlastic 32-bit All-In-One Image Version 20090604

Daniel Kao

Jun 4, 2009, 9:42:23 PM6/4/09
to wola...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that Version 20090604 of the WOlastic 32-bit
All-In-One Image has been released. CHANGELOG is below but basically
it's a permissions fix for the Apache user in order to add/change files
in important directories.

us-east-1: ami-0305e36a (32-bit/All-In-One)
eu-west-1: ami-8da088f9 (32-bit/All-In-One)

CHANGELOG:

June 4, 2009 - CentOS53-i386-WebObjects-5.4.3-20090604

Daniel Kao <dk...@ubermind.com>

* Fixed permissions on the following directories

- (apache/apache) /var/www
- (apache/apache) /etc/httpd
- (apache/apache) /var/log/httpd

For more information, please visit:

http://wolastic.com/

For a "Getting Started" guide, please visit the following URL:

http://wolastic.com/blog/2009/06/getting-started-with-wolastic-all-in-one-images.html

Thanks!

--
Daniel Kao
Übermind, Inc.

Daniel Kao

Jul 7, 2009, 3:40:18 PM7/7/09
to daniel, wola...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

I apologize for the delay in replying to your earlier posts in the Google Groups list.

WOlastic is still being maintained and I'm glad you enjoyed our presentation at WOWODC West!  I will be putting up new tutorials soon involving the use of MySQL & PostgreSQL and using/mounting volumes for persistence in regards to DB's.

However, in a nutshell to get your started, you need to use "sudo" to start PostgreSQL or to change to the PostgreSQL user. You will want to do the following as the "appserver" user:

% sudo service postgresql start

If it prompts you for a password, type in the password you set for the appserver user.  You should see the following:

Starting postgresql service: [  OK  ]

At this point, PostgreSQL is running and you can verify it by running:

% psql -U postgres

You should see this:

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

postgres=#

All of the PostgreSQL configuration files are located in:

/vol/pgsql/data

You must be sudo'ed to the "postgres" user, however, to enter and edit files in that directory.

As noted, the root filesystem is not persistent.  So if you "power-off" your WOlastic instance, you will lose database data.  I will put up a tutorial shortly on how to mount an Amazon EBS volume for persistent PostgreSQL & MySQL databases.

Hope this gets you started!  Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
Daniel Kao
--
Daniel Kao - Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Übermind, Inc. * http://ubermind.com/ * "Your Vision, Our Experience"

daniel wrote:
Hi,

Is WOlastic still being maintained?  Will there be any more tutorials
regarding configuration of Postgres?  I tried starting postgres on an
instance but I don't have sufficient privileges as the appserver user,
and I don't know the su password to change permissions for the
appserver user.

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Kao <d...@ubermind.com>