WoAD and GPS settings

jrtrint1

Sep 14, 2023, 12:03:09 PM9/14/23
to WoAD Support
I'm getting intermittent location change failures on a GPS-enabled template  - WoAD seems to not be picking up the GPS location on a Vastking M10 tablet running Android 11. Test setup is the new CERT Windshield Survey template, installed in shared space, with WoAD allowed to use the folder.

We also run the GPS Status app, (Play Store) and allow it to float (picture in picture) over the template when in use. GPS Status shows us moving from location to location. WoAD location on the tablet does not follow the change, even when deleting the message and starting a new one.

WoAD position settings are continuous updates, high accuracy and one minute updates. We leave the tablet on while traveling, as a GPS cold start takes more than 1 minute.

Am I missing something simple?

Many thanks
JT - K9ONR

Andrew Walker

Sep 15, 2023, 1:13:43 PM9/15/23
to WoAD Support
Hi John,

I think the first step would be to ensure that WoAD is listening for GPS updates. To do this open "Position report" screen accessible from the top main menu.
The "Continuous updates" item at he bottom of the screen should be enabled (as below)

enabled.png

If instead you see this

disabled.png

then click on the icon to enable automatic GPS updates.

If the icon does not change then you may have previously denied the necessary permission. This can be corrected by going to Settings -> App Info -> Permissions -> Location and enabling the permission.

Assuming that is all working as expected the next thing to check would be whether the "GPS position" reported in the "Position report" screen is updating as expected, as it uses the same source as the template.

Hope that helps and please let me know how it goes.

All the best,

Andrew
VA7YAA