Yaesu FTM-500 and DigiRig

David Hulings

Feb 20, 2024, 2:51:34 PMFeb 20
to WoAD Support

I'll start with the equipment, I have  Yaesu FTM500 and a DigiRig with the proper cable.  WoAD keys up the radio and I can hear it on another radio to listen to the transmission. The audio coming out of the DigiRig is clean and the PTT is working properly. I have 50 amp circuit directly from the batteries into the cab, so the whole system is very well grounded to the chassis. The antenna is on the roof and 6' behind the radio. The USB cable has ferrite's on both ends.  I don't think it's rfi, but I will turn the radio down to 5 watts, as that is the low power setting. I'm wondering if it is my Samsung phone? I have the new S24 Ultra and a S9 tablet. The reason I think this is... I can remove the usb cable from the phone and plug it directly into a Microsoft Surface Go 3 using winlink and soundmodem and it works perfectly. So if the power level was the issue, it should have the same issue no matter the source device.

I have tried every volume level on the Samsung's from 1% to 100% and it's never over modulated when listening to it on another radio. But this raises the question of why does it work with the Yaesu Ft5d, Icom 52a, Anytone 778uv?  If the audio was low coming from the phone it shouldn't work with any radio. And why do both mobile units not work with the phone, but just move the cable over to a computer and it works perfectly?

I'm going to try to turn up the mic gain on the 500 when i get it back from the dealer.

73
Dave

David Hulings

Feb 22, 2024, 9:14:16 AMFeb 22
to WoAD Support
Well, after a couple of weeks of working on this issue, I have it working.

I did several things at the same time to get this to work, so I'm not exactly sure what one did the trick or if they all had a role in it.

In the S24Ultra, I went into developer options and turned off the "HD Audio".  I then increased the media volume to wide open on all screens.  There is a somewhat hidden menu for max volume.

In WoAD i set the packet volume to 95%.

The rest of the WoAD settings are as follows.
TNC Settings:
Tx Delay = 900
Max packet length = 128
Max outstanding frames = 4
Frack time = 4
Persistence = 160
Slot time = 400
Max retries = 5
Tx tail = 40

Audio (AFSK, 1200 bps)
Mode = Simplex
Channel = Left
Set Packet Volume = Box ix checked
Packet Volume 95%

PTT USB RTS
Enable = Box ix checked and USB port select DigiRig Silicon com port

I created a separate session just for this radio, as my HT's work with the basic settings described i many other posts.

I hope this helps someone!

73
Dave (KO4FRZ)