WoAD via digirig & KX2

Michael Woodmansee

Jul 6, 2024, 9:28:58 AM (10 days ago) Jul 6
to WoAD Support
I'm trying to get WoAD 1.5.1 on Google Pixel 8 Pro working with my Elecraft KX2 through a digirig mobile. I think that I have most of the settings correct from combing other WoAD & digirig threads and have been able to set up my KX2 to work with FT8CN on Android.

Checking if I'm barking up the wrong tree, as I saw a 2022 post in another forum that WoAD required additional laptop support to work on HF and I'm trying an Android-only approach.

Any pointers to other threads/guides that might be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Mike KO6CGS

WoAD Support

Jul 7, 2024, 9:19:27 PM (8 days ago) Jul 7
to WoAD Support
Hi Mike,

If you're planning to use VARA then you need to connect to a Windows device as VARA is a proprietary protocol currently supported only under WIndows. For ARDOP, which is more generic in nature, you should also be able to connect to something like a Raspberry Pi with ARDOP running on it. And, for completeness, PACTOR requires a dedicated modem made by SCS.

Using only WoAD and a digirig gives you access to 300 bps AFSK, 1200 bps AFSK, and 9600 bps FSK. As far as I'm aware (and I'm not an HF user) these are typically only used on VHF/UHF, and the vast majority of RMSes are using 1200 bps, with a few supporting 9600 bps.

Hope that helps,

Andrew
VA7YAA

Don VA7QU Poaps

Jul 7, 2024, 9:42:42 PM (8 days ago) Jul 7
to WoAD Support
Andrew is right. However, if you have a Windows machine, open up the Vara TNC setting. The Vara TNC has 127.0.0.1 in the setting. Find out if your Android IP address can connect to VARA tnc, or the IP address of your Windows device. The port issue would have to be worked out.

Just a thought

73
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7...@winlink.org
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

Michael Woodmansee

Jul 8, 2024, 3:00:38 PM (7 days ago) Jul 8
to WoAD Support
Andrew and Don,
Helpful responses; thank you both! I've been seeing what I can do with my current collection of IT---which seems to include everything EXCEPT a Windows machine---so I'll focus on ARDOP first. Seems that VARA can be run on Linux under the Wine emulator, but that's another level of complexity.

And those SCS PACTOR modems are pricey! Another one to add to the ham wish list I guess. (And puts investment in a Windows laptop in the noise.)

73s,
Mike KO6CGS

Don VA7QU Poaps

Jul 8, 2024, 3:31:14 PM (7 days ago) Jul 8
to mww...@gmail.com, woad-s...@googlegroups.com

The local BCEM EOC and Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Service have pactor SCS-TNC. The TSA bought 3 of the tnc for our grab and go kits at about 1500 plus Tax.

This is Canadian Dollars. FINDING radios with acc plugs in dual band are like Hens teeth.

The Vara has a licence 90.00 Canadian compared to 1500.

You can still use Vara but at a slower rate. Linux can be used however really have to know that OS

73

Don va7qu

Don Google Cell