WoAD And IC 705

Don VA7QU Poaps

Jun 20, 2023, 11:45:35 AM6/20/23
to WoAD Support
I've been searching Youtube etc to find out how to get my Google Android cell to talk to WoAD. I have paired the IC 705 to my cell. I went to a session but I'm not seeing away to make this work.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7...@winlink.org
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

Dimitrios Valaris

Jun 21, 2023, 4:50:18 AM6/21/23
to WoAD Support
Hi Don,

Unfortunatelly WoAD needs some sort of external modem to talk to and do it's thing.
An example would be a PACTOR Modem connected to your IC-705 via an extra interface, if WoAD can talk to an external PACTOR Modem connected to the Android phone via Bluetooth (not supported yet), or a mini PC running VARA under Windows or a Raspberry Pi running VARA where WoAD will talk to it via WiFi (I think this is supported now).

Of course if you use a mini Windows PC or a Raspberry Pi running LINUX then all you need is a small 7inch monitor and a tiny keyboard/mouse combo and you are in bussiness with or without WoAD. Some people use their Android Phone to VNC to the little Computer, but because running an extra mini computer and your mobile phone is cumbesome, too many extra wires connected to external batteries etc will be flying about for my liking I think that this solution is not so attractive. Also your QSO will be interrupted each time you receive a text message, a phone call etc.

This is the reason why I use a 6 and a 7 inch Windows mini laptop for my FT-817 and IC-705 respectively when I am on the field (laptop battery and keyboard/mouse included in the mini laptop without any extra cables for power, monitor etc), and run VARA/WINLINK/VARAC/JS8 and any other program that can run in Windows directly on the mini laptop.

It would be great if VARA could run in an Android phone, but I am not sure that the developer of VARA is interested in porting his code to Android O/S. Also it would be good if something similar could happen with PACKET RADIO, but at the moment there isn't anything running PACKET RADIO via the soundcard in Android. I can't remember if WolphiLink has got a Soundcard PACKET RADIO program for Android Phones.

The way I use WoAD is with my Kenwood TH-D74 talking to WoAD via Bluetooth in my Android phone so I need no cables at all. If you use another Kenwood HT such as the TH-D72, then you need a USB cable connection between your HT and your Android phone.

Good luck with your adventures Don.

73 de Demetre M0SUY (SV1UY) ..

Andrew Walker

Jun 21, 2023, 12:23:04 PM6/21/23
to Don VA7QU Poaps, WoAD Support
Hi Don,

I'm not familiar with the IC705, but a cursory glance of the documentation seems to indicate that the IC705 uses bluetooth only to support the use of a bluetooth headset. Unfortunately WoAD does not yet emulate a bluetooth headset so you're left using another style of connection to the radio.

You have several options, depending on what kind of session you are aiming to run.

Some possible choices would include the digirig (audio, using WoAD's soundcard support for 1200bps packet radio), or you could go with a bluetooth connection to the mobilinkd (a KISS device), a USB connection to a KISS TNC (of which there are numerous makes and models), or a TCP/IP connection to VARA FM/HF. Or, as Dimitrios pointed out, a bluetooth KISS connection to a TH-D74 (with its own built-in KISS TNC) provides a totally cable free solution.

All the best,

Andrew
VA7YAA

Don VA7QU Poaps

Jun 21, 2023, 1:17:08 PM6/21/23
to Andrew Walker, WoAD Support
Thanks for the info. I guess it's the same issue Tak and I discussed about trying to get Bluetooth into the Voxbox

Later

73

Don va7qu