Post-Election #OpenNY Roundup, Manhattan Boro Prez & the Great Urban Hack!

noel hidalgo

Nov 8, 2010, 9:22:18 PM11/8/10
to wnyop...@googlegroups.com
Dear Open Gov'rs!

Join us Wed < http://bit.ly/OpenNY_Dec > for a post-election round up
w/ Manhattan Boro Prez, the Great Urban Hack & "Open.NY.gov" planning
session!

Last Tuesday, we made our decision and elected candidates who support
transparency, efficiency and participation in OUR State Government.
While we still don't know who will take the majority in the State
Senate, we know that Governor-Elect Andrew Cuomo will use Gov 2.0
policies to "Clean up Albany" < http://bit.ly/cleanupalbany >.
Additionally, New York's next Attorney General will expand Project
Sunlight and demand greater levels of transparency from Wall Street
AND all forms of State government < http://bit.ly/AG_book >.

This Wednesday's theme: "Citizen Led Engagement websites"

First, we will recap what we know from the election, run through an
outline for a Drupal for Gov "stack" and highlight some cool apps
we've seen pop-up around the BigApps 2.0 and the Great Urban Hack at
Eyebeam.

Second, we will have representatives from Manhattan Borough
President's office present "Speak Up New York," a developing online
initiative to help Manhattanites connect with all forms of community
leadership < http://bit.ly/SpeakUPny >. Open NY will help the Boro
President's office thinking through their idea and be the
technological ballast to their 7 months of meetings with grassroot
groups.

Third, we will start writing up compelling Gov 2.0 "user stories" that
will be used as the foundation of "Open New York" a citizen proposed
state government website dedicated to transparency.

In these stories, we will cover:
- participation and economic development/job creation through open and
free data,
- efficiency and better government services though real time and
reactive information,
- government transparency and how it adds value to pre-existing business models.

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010, 7pm till 9pm
Hashtag: #OpenNY
Livestream: http://livestream.com/OpenNY

Location: New Work City, 412 Broadway, Floor 2, New York, NY
w: http://nwc.co/
t: @nwc