Exchanging Rochester related links

Joe

Apr 23, 2004, 7:08:03 PM4/23/04
If any of you out there have any Rochester related web sites or home
pages..and are interested in exchanging links..here's a page I have where
this can be done:

http://www.timeforweb.com/links.htm

--
Joe

Forum Crafters:
http://www.forumcrafters.com
FrontPage Users Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage

Paige Miller

Apr 24, 2004, 8:39:51 AM4/24/04
On Stardate 4/23/2004 7:08 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at Joe's keyboard...

> If any of you out there have any Rochester related web sites or home
> pages..and are interested in exchanging links..here's a page I have where
> this can be done:
>
> http://www.timeforweb.com/links.htm

Thanks! I thought your site had enough useful infomration so that I
bookmarked it.

Now, if you could only get it to render properly using Mozilla 1.6, that
would be great.

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Apr 24, 2004, 9:51:32 AM4/24/04
Quoth the raven named Paige Miller:

> On Stardate 4/23/2004 7:08 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
> typed at Joe's keyboard...
>
>> If any of you out there have any Rochester related web sites or
>> home pages..and are interested in exchanging links..here's a page
>> I have where this can be done:
>>
>> http://www.timeforweb.com/links.htm
>
> Thanks! I thought your site had enough useful infomration so that I
> bookmarked it.
>
> Now, if you could only get it to render properly using Mozilla 1.6,
> that would be great.

Good catch, Paige. Perhaps if the author took note and repaired the
151 errors on that links page, Moz would render correctly.

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.timeforweb.com%2Flinks.htm&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=HTML+4.01+Transitional>

Since no DOCTYPE is used, I selected 4.01 Transitional. Using Strict,
there are 185 errors. The other pages suffer the same fate. There is a
lot of MS-only stuff at that site. :-(

This might be of use as well:

http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

Otherwise, it is a nice, informative site.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Paige Miller

Apr 24, 2004, 5:40:09 PM4/24/04
On Stardate 4/24/2004 9:51 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at Beauregard T. Shagnasty's keyboard...

Well, Beau, thanks for pointing out the fact that the site is designed
with many MS-only features. It is beyond my capabilities to decipher why
a web site appears the way it does, so I am glad you have discovered
this fact.

I don't use MS Internet Explorer. I use Mozilla. I have now
UN-bookmarked this site. I won't use it. If the original poster wishes
to modify his site and post back here, I'll be glad to re-consider my
decision.

Call me a Mozilla-nazi if you want; I'm proud of it. (Oh, and by the
way, if it didn't work in Opera or any other browser, I'd probably feel
the same -- get rid of the MS-only code)

ßill

Apr 24, 2004, 9:39:08 PM4/24/04

Nothing wrong with being a "Mozilla-nazi" I use linux
primarily and use Mozilla and/or Firefox. Even in windows
I use Mozilla instead of IE.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Joe

Apr 24, 2004, 10:49:43 PM4/24/04

"Paige Miller" <pmiller...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

> Well, Beau, thanks for pointing out the fact that the site is designed
> with many MS-only features. It is beyond my capabilities to decipher why
> a web site appears the way it does, so I am glad you have discovered
> this fact.
>
> I don't use MS Internet Explorer. I use Mozilla. I have now
> UN-bookmarked this site. I won't use it. If the original poster wishes
> to modify his site and post back here, I'll be glad to re-consider my
> decision.
>
> Call me a Mozilla-nazi if you want; I'm proud of it. (Oh, and by the
> way, if it didn't work in Opera or any other browser, I'd probably feel
> the same -- get rid of the MS-only code)

Well Paige...sorry you feel that way, however I guess I will call you a
Mozilla-nazi. I bet you didn't know that this particular site
http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html has tag names and
attributes that don't validate in *any* version of Netscape..so on your way
to unbookmarking mine, take care of yours too.

Look.. I didn't come here for a critique of my code. I already know there
are things there that need to be addressed. I tried to actually throw out a
topic that had some relevance to Rochester (what a novel idea in the
wny.rochester.freenet huh?)

The reason this ng is so dead, is due to the constant bitching and
belittling of others here. Congratulations on your high-horse attitude while
continuing the tradition.

--
Joe

Bob

Apr 24, 2004, 11:00:34 PM4/24/04
Joe, Thanks for the site. It works fine for me and I am not ashamed to admit
that I use IE 6.0. I stray to other browsers from time to time , but my
mainstay is IE. Thanks again for the site !

Bob

Joe

Apr 24, 2004, 11:12:13 PM4/24/04
"Bob" <*nospam*@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

Thank You Bob! I mostly use IE6 as well. I have many other browsers
available to use too, including Mozilla, NS, Opera. but just like you I keep
coming back to IE.

I am also not ashamed to admit the site was done with FrontPage either.
<awaiting an attack from a Dreamweaver user now> :-)

--
Joe

Scaly Lizard

Apr 25, 2004, 2:37:07 AM4/25/04
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:08:03 GMT, "Joe" <joe...@AAfrontiernet.net>
wrote:

>If any of you out there have any Rochester related web sites or home
>pages..and are interested in exchanging links..here's a page I have where
>this can be done:
>
>http://www.timeforweb.com/links.htm

Some constructive tips, from the upper right on down:

"Being on this page will now give you additional navigation buttons on
the left side. Feel free to explore more Rochester related content!"
...sounds like it was written by someone for whom English
is a second language. Try this:

"Welcome to the Rochester links page. The categories below are
constantly growing, so set a bookmark here and check back often! On
the left side, you'll find more links to Rochester-related resources."

Just above that, while my clock said "1:09 AM", your website
said that it was "1:2 AM". Something is faulty, either the clock
you feed from, or the script you use to update the clock.

The ads down the right side look hokey - like those classifieds
you see at the back of magazines offering 'enhancement creams".
They don't enhance your credibility. If you have to host ads on a
link page as part of your web-hosting situation, perhaps your TOS
doesn't support the flexibility you need. A links page should be
as ad-free as possible, or the quality of those links will become
suspect to any reasonable person.

A better solution might be to add them to the category for
"Housing" and feature them there, or for the Logical Solutions
advertisement, perhaps add a category like "Tech Services"
or somesuch. Of course, if you're getting money for hosting
those ads, then you might not have much choice. All i can
say in that case is that you might be able to work with your
clients to find a way to feature them without the links page
seeming like a profit-first, usefulness-second kind of operation.

If you want to drive traffic, you've got to provide content. The
subversion of this simple principle led to the tech bubble that
burst late last century. And as a corollary to this principle,
your content must be useful and useable. A links page can
be useful, but only if it's got credibility and useability.

The left side has professional-looking graphics, but the link
descriptors don't do their job. As a browser, i should be given
some information about what sets "Pictures (1)" apart from
"Pictures (4)".

"This is our Rochester links page. From here you will find links to
many Rochester sites and services. The Rochester links are categorized
for your convenience."
...might be better off shortened. To get here, people have clicked
the "Rochester Content" link somewhere, so they know why they're
here. As a sidenote on style, "Rochester Links" or "Rochester Info
Links" or "Rochester Info" might be better to use on the left
hand sidebar.

Anyway, they should know that this is a links page already, so a less
formal and shorter intro might be better, like "Most of your questions
about Rochester, New York can be answered here. The categories
below are full of info and services about all aspects of Rochester."

The body of the links is not bad, but not very deep. If they
get any deeper, as you intended by posting your message here,
then you'll want to collapse the various categories into hyperlinks
and set each one up on it's own page, with sub-categories of
its own. You've got a bit over hundred links, and the page is
already longer than a non-specific links page should be.

The actual links already start near the bottom at a 1024x768
resolution, because of the omnipresent header picture and an
overlong introduction and yet another picture. If you want to woo
traffic, you have to provide useability with a minimum of scrolling.
Look at Google. Look at Yahoo. Vast contents, but simple and
short interfaces.

And at the very bottom, there's a link to a "Links Application".

Your main page says:

" We are now offering a link exchange program as well."

and the links page says:

"If you would like us to provide a link to your site, then press
below for our application and requirements."

but the "Link Application Page" says:

"***You <bold>must first provide a reciprocal link back to us
</bold> in order to be included.
***Your links page must be visible through your navigation.
***Fill out the application form"

It all sounds friendly, until you read the somewhat heavy-handed
'requirements' of the 'application'.

Add to that the fact that the "Links Application" page shows
the title "Clients" in a tabbed web-browser. It combines to
make one feel slightly 'dirty'. Since your persistent tabs on
the left hand sidebar include "Services", "Clients" and
"Shopping", one gets the impression that linking to such a
site makes one complicit in a money-making scheme for
someone else's benefit.

If that's the primary intent of your links page, then one would
expect you to do your own research, and good luck with it.

I know a ton of Rochester-related links that aren't on your
site, but i'm not going to submit any. It seems like your pages
are geared towards making money, and your links page is only
a means towards an end. If you want to make it into a gewgaw
that drives traffic to your business site, then do your own
research, or pay me to design and implement a truly useful
Rochester page for you.

And the "link1.gif" cycles faster than is tasteful, so try slowing
that down. And the page loads fairly slow, though that might just
be because i don't use IE. Consider cross-platform compatibility
an imperative, or your site(s) are doomed.

p.s.: lay off Paige, she's a good egg. Using standard html
for universal compatibility is a sound strategy, in more ways
than one.

Again, i mean this as a help to you, not as a slam.
To sum up:
* gain credibility by eliminating ads from the links page.
* gain audience by supporting cross-platform standards
* do some research to expand and deepen the resource
* organize the content and simplify the access to the content.

Good luck!

SL

Paige Miller

Apr 25, 2004, 9:02:39 AM4/25/04
On Stardate 4/24/2004 10:49 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at Joe's keyboard...
> "Paige Miller" <pmiller...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>

>>Well, Beau, thanks for pointing out the fact that the site is designed
>>with many MS-only features. It is beyond my capabilities to decipher why
>>a web site appears the way it does, so I am glad you have discovered
>>this fact.
>>
>>I don't use MS Internet Explorer. I use Mozilla. I have now
>>UN-bookmarked this site. I won't use it. If the original poster wishes
>>to modify his site and post back here, I'll be glad to re-consider my
>>decision.
>>
>>Call me a Mozilla-nazi if you want; I'm proud of it. (Oh, and by the
>>way, if it didn't work in Opera or any other browser, I'd probably feel
>>the same -- get rid of the MS-only code)
>

> Well Paige...sorry you feel that way, however I guess I will call you a
> Mozilla-nazi. I bet you didn't know that this particular site
> http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html has tag names and
> attributes that don't validate in *any* version of Netscape..so on your way
> to unbookmarking mine, take care of yours too.

First of all, I don't write the html code for my site. I use a web
application (blogger.com) that does it for me. Furthermore, I have no
detailed knowledge of html to allow me to check these things.

But more importantly, its a hobby for me to maintain a blog. It's a
10-20 minutes-a-day type of thing. I don't do it to make money or drive
traffic, and if you don't like it, please don't come back. I lose
nothing if you don't return, and my hobby goes along as a pleasant thing
for me to do.

> Look.. I didn't come here for a critique of my code. I already know there
> are things there that need to be addressed. I tried to actually throw out a
> topic that had some relevance to Rochester (what a novel idea in the
> wny.rochester.freenet huh?)
>
> The reason this ng is so dead, is due to the constant bitching and
> belittling of others here. Congratulations on your high-horse attitude while
> continuing the tradition.

But you want to make money from you site, you have advertisements and
want people to visit. I have stated an objection to your site, and just
like every other commercial enterprise out there, you can make your
enterprise more palatable to me, or you lose my business. Same as Tops,
Wegmans, Time Warner, Kodak, IBM and Microsoft (many of whom, by the
way, do listen and react to complaints).

couponw...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2014, 4:53:51 PM4/9/14
On Friday, April 23, 2004 7:08:03 PM UTC-4, Joe wrote:
> If any of you out there have any Rochester related web sites or home
> pages..and are interested in exchanging links..here's a page I have where
> this can be done:
>
> http://www.timeforweb.com/links.htm
>
> --
> Joe
>
> Forum Crafters:
> http://www.forumcrafters.com great
> FrontPage Users Forums:
> http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage

great site and we book marked it http://www.couponworldmidwest.com

Scaly Lizard

Apr 12, 2014, 3:29:26 AM4/12/14
On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 13:53:51 -0700 (PDT), the ill-informed
couponw...@gmail.com spat out:
Wow. Spam reply ten years later? Wow really.

SL

gr

Apr 24, 2014, 10:03:17 PM4/24/14
Never be surprised by spamsters actions!