TW raising rates already again

Suziedo

Aug 2, 2010, 1:29:27 PM8/2/10
If all you have is roadrunner the rate is going up another $5.00 to
$54.95 a month. Wish Verizon had FIOS where I live. Would get phone
and cable for that price.

Susan

Scaly Lizard

Aug 2, 2010, 6:02:23 PM8/2/10
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:29:27 -0700 (PDT), Suziedo <sued...@gmail.com>
wrote:

God bless a monopoly. It makes life so very much more
palatable for those who own it. Competition is so tedious.

/sarcasm

SL

Larry Moss

Aug 2, 2010, 11:21:41 PM8/2/10

Well, not exactly comparable, but there is another alternative for parts of
the Rochester area. I asked a while ago for help finding some sort of
Internet service in my studio. I just couldn't manage to get anything
reasonable since I just happened to be in a commercial area. We just ended
up signing up with Clear. Clear was formerly Clearwire. As they upgrade
their network to 4G, they're rebranding. They just switched to the Clear
name here. I cannot get a good signal from them everywhere, but downtown,
in my studio, it's fantastic.

The reason I said it's not quite comparable is that the speed is not up
there with Roadrunner. It's 6 Mb down, 1 Mb up. That's respectable. Better
than DSL. At $40/month, I'll take it. I can even travel with it (to the
few places that curretly have Clear 4G service).

I haven't had it long enough yet to give a real review. I can say though
that it's nice to be connected without dealing with the outrageous
offerings from the big guys in town. I'll post more when I know more about
how well it does under real world use.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

Dr. Zachary Smith

Sep 16, 2010, 1:30:25 PM9/16/10
What's grinding my gears is the crappy new online cable guide they've
stuck us with. It's cumbersome, unintuitive, and it has a constant
lag of 5-30 seconds every time you press a button. AND it's missing
some of the features of the old software, like the recording setting
for VCRs. It assumes default settings I don't want (and have to
change manually every time I turn the TV on). It sucks, and I'd
rather they go back to the old software pkg.

Scaly Lizard

Sep 18, 2010, 1:28:37 AM9/18/10
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:30:25 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
<Dr.S...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>What's grinding my gears is the crappy new online cable guide they've
>stuck us with. It's cumbersome, unintuitive, and it has a constant
>lag of 5-30 seconds every time you press a button. AND it's missing
>some of the features of the old software, like the recording setting
>for VCRs. It assumes default settings I don't want (and have to
>change manually every time I turn the TV on). It sucks, and I'd
>rather they go back to the old software pkg.

Do you mean the onscreen schedule guide, or the online
guide at twc.com?

If you're seeing a lag of more than 1 second when navigating
the onscreen guide, then something's wrong. You may have
a faulty cable box, you may have faults in the cable wires
either inside or outside your house, you may have dead
batteries in your cable box remote control. Or you may have
a 1 second lag and are getting impatient and jamming the
button over and over, piling instructions on top of instructions
for the cable box, and that'll make it seem to freeze while it
catches up to your most recent button press. We ain't talkin
about a quad core CPU in those things.

If your settings stored in the cable box are wiped every
time, that might mean you're cutting electrical power
to the box when you shut your system down. You should
turn the settop box off, but not cut the power to it.

The onsreen guide should not exhibit any of the symptoms
you describe. Except for the VCR conveniences, which
compete with the DVR service TW makes money from.

VCRs have not evaporated from the environment fast
enough to warrant cutting services to them, but when
there's an alternative which earns money for the service
provider... you get the idea.

>On Aug 2, 1:29 pm, Suziedo <suedo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If all you have is roadrunner the rate is going up another $5.00 to
>> $54.95 a month.  Wish Verizon had FIOS where I live.  Would get phone
>> and cable for that price.
>>
>> Susan

SL

Dr. Zachary Smith

Oct 5, 2010, 2:56:36 PM10/5/10
That sounds like TWC rhetoric; deny everything and/or everything is
the customer's fault/doing.
I've been battling with crappy service from TWC for over two decades;
you think I haven't tried/determined all that stuff already? I'm long
past wanting to drop them for some other service, and right now some
of the offers are just tempting enough.

On Sep 18, 1:28 am, Scaly Lizard

<scalyliz...@nospampleaseandthankyou.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:30:25 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"

Scaly Lizard

Oct 7, 2010, 12:32:26 AM10/7/10
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:56:36 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
<Dr.S...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>That sounds like TWC rhetoric; deny everything and/or everything is
>the customer's fault/doing.
>I've been battling with crappy service from TWC for over two decades;

That, my friend, is a tragedy of your own design. What kind
of person accepts abuse for 20 years? A fool, that's what kind.
I'm not saying you are a fool, only that your actions/inactivities,
as you describe them, sound foolish to an outside observer.

>you think I haven't tried/determined all that stuff already? I'm long
>past wanting to drop them for some other service, and right now some
>of the offers are just tempting enough.

Wow. 20 years? And you're only now "tempted" to ashcan
"crappy service"? Only now? I will repeat my assertion: a
consistent 5 to 30 second lag when operating any remote
control is not usual. Having to redo settings every time you
turn your TV on is not normal.

The first could be due to TW equipment or due to user error.
The second is certainly due to user error, and this also raises
the likelihood of the first problem being due to user error.

Only one piece of advice remains for you: Rowe will gladly
send over a technician to set up your entertainment system
and teach you how to avoid incorrect usage. You will have
to pay them, or learn on your own, or perpetuate your own
tragedy.

SL