Blocking Facebook posts by domain

Rohan Prinja

Aug 12, 2014, 8:04:20 PM8/12/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
A while ago, Facebook removed a really useful feature for some reason. If you saw an annoying post on Facebook, you could click the arrow in the top right and select "Hide all links from <domain>". I mostly used it to block clickbait sites like Upworthy. But now that FB removed this feature I'm searching for an alternative. Any suggestions (good addons/userscripts)?

Manish Goregaokar

Aug 13, 2014, 1:09:39 AM8/13/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
A userscript could probably be written in a few minutes. Or tweak adblock ;p

This CSS selector ought to do it. Then again, FB might change their CSS classes a lot, these seem to either be obfuscated or randomly generated. `._4ikz:contains(._52c6[href^='http://downworthy.com'])` (selects all top-level news feed stories that are a promoted link).

Back in my day, CSS did not look like discombobulated Perl. Tsk.

-Manish Goregaokar

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Rohan Prinja <rohan....@gmail.com> wrote:
A while ago, Facebook removed a really useful feature for some reason. If you saw an annoying post on Facebook, you could click the arrow in the top right and select "Hide all links from <domain>". I mostly used it to block clickbait sites like Upworthy. But now that FB removed this feature I'm searching for an alternative. Any suggestions (good addons/userscripts)?

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Antariksh Bothale

Aug 13, 2014, 7:39:36 AM8/13/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Rohan Prinja <rohan....@gmail.com> wrote:
A while ago, Facebook removed a really useful feature for some reason. If you saw an annoying post on Facebook, you could click the arrow in the top right and select "Hide all links from <domain>". I mostly used it to block clickbait sites like Upworthy. But now that FB removed this feature I'm searching for an alternative. Any suggestions (good addons/userscripts)?

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Antariksh Bothale | Graduate Student, MS in Computational Linguistics, University of Washington

Rohan Prinja

Aug 13, 2014, 8:49:30 AM8/13/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Antariksh, this is great, thanks! I'm currently using it.

Manish, I'll sit down sometime and write a minimal blocker using what you said, for practice if nothing else :)
Rohan Prinja
Fourth Year, CS Undergrad
IIT Bombay