Google Hangout and proxy

Amol Mandhane

Jul 6, 2011, 9:43:25 AM7/6/11
to Web and Coding Club IITB
My Google hangout does not seem to be familiar with netmon. Any solutions???? Web cam starts and stops.......

Regards,
Amol Mandhane.
Co-ordinator, WnCC,
IIT Bombay

Antariksh Bothale

Jul 7, 2011, 12:43:41 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I think it is the same problem that plagues Google Voice/Video Chat. It works only if both of you are within insti or outside insti. Dunno how it works out that way.

2011/7/6 Amol Mandhane <manam...@gmail.com>

Antariksh Bothale | 5th Year (Dual Degree) | Mechanical Engineering | IIT Bombay

Sampath Satti

Jul 7, 2011, 1:33:52 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
This is off-topic, but that's a really nice signature.

Antariksh Bothale

Jul 7, 2011, 1:56:33 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks :)

Courtesy Namit. Dunno original courtesy whom. Maybe Namit.

Prashant Sohani

Jul 7, 2011, 2:21:37 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I think Google Video Chat must be using something like the browser sockets that were mentioned by Mayank in the other thread.. and netmon blocks that connection

On 7 July 2011 11:26, Antariksh Bothale <antariks...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks :)

Courtesy Namit. Dunno original courtesy whom. Maybe Namit.

Anvit Tawar

Jul 7, 2011, 2:41:49 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
is there no workaround ?

Uttam Sikaria

Jul 7, 2011, 2:33:26 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I like it too..
I would have followed suit but it loses its impact with "without wax" coming over the coloured rule.. :P

---
Without Wax,
Uttam Sikaria
http://www.utmsikaria.com

Prashant Sachdeva

Jul 7, 2011, 9:16:25 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Replying back on the original topic.

The reason for that is how these services work. The server helps to connect the 2 clients together, but the actual video/voice packets don't go through the server. A direct connection is setup between the 2 machines. If one machine is inside and the other outside the campus, the outside machine cannot reach the machine inside campus without tunnelling through (using SSH). Its the same reason as to why you cant connect to your computer inside insti with the IP address directly.

--
Prashant

Amol Mandhane

Jul 7, 2011, 9:18:56 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Why does Skype work den????

Regards,
Amol Mandhane.
Co-ordinator, WnCC,
IIT Bombay

Prashant Sachdeva

Jul 7, 2011, 9:32:49 AM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't Skype ask you for proxy? I think it does.

--
Prashant

Harsh Pareek

Jul 7, 2011, 12:35:43 PM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Skype is peer to peer. The architecture is different. instead of TCP/IP your conversation is routed through other skype clients (chosen intelligently, so it beats the native packet movement on the internet).
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_44/b3906089_mz063.htm has a dumb photo, can't find a good reference.
This architecture means Skype has very low running costs, combined with high reliability and quality.

That's perhaps also one of the reasons it's free (without the big network of skype users, skype crashes, as happened around 23rd December last year)

Prashant Sohani

Jul 7, 2011, 12:59:41 PM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I don't quite follow how this gives a higher quality, than if it were a direct end-to-end TCP connection. Because now, since our calls will be routed through other clients on the way, even their connection speeds matter.

Also, the peer-to-peer may be a good idea from the company's point of view, but it implies that when a client makes a long-distance call, he makes use of the bandwidth (hence, money) of several intermediate users, and vice versa. So indirectly, the clients are having to pay for the calls. (Ironically, all clients are having to pay collectively for all the calls.. funny)

Also, even if the packets are routed through other clients, that does not explain how it can pass through the netmon barrier.

Prashant Sachdeva

Jul 7, 2011, 2:07:09 PM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Google Video chat, Skype and, I would guess, most voice/video calling services use peer to peer connections for quality purposes. Skype just makes sure it uses proxy. How they do that, I am not sure.

--
Prashant

Pritish Kamath

Jul 7, 2011, 2:57:32 PM7/7/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I think the problem comes because we are sitting behind a NAT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Address_Translation). So any outside person cannot know our internal IP address. What Skype does is some kind of a relay, which establishes the connection after which the call can happen independently in a peer-to-peer manner. However, I don't exactly know how Skype sets this up..

Pritish Kamath | Senior Undergraduate | Computer Science and Engineering | IIT Bombay

harshit mittal

Jul 8, 2011, 2:53:32 AM7/8/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
The prescribed book  for Computer Networks course talks a little about Skype and relaying.  I remember reading something like the connection between relay and comp behind the NAT is switched on as soon as the comp opens skype and now for anybody outside the NAT it is actually the relay which acts lik the client.
--
Cheers!
Harshit

Ravi Bhoraskar

Jul 8, 2011, 2:38:07 AM7/8/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I seem to remember that a persistent TCP connection with an IP outside the NAT is required to set up the relay.

Ravi Bhoraskar |
 Senior Undergraduate | Computer Science and Engineering | IIT Bombay

Apekshit Sharma

Jul 8, 2011, 1:38:12 PM7/8/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
completely off the topic....
so afaik
this signature was in one of the googler's mail -> hemant -> cse guys -> ........................
Apekshit Sharma