A concept...

Tejas Nikumbh

Jul 29, 2011, 9:59:29 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
All WnCC group members. I am a beginner and coding and feel the need for a place where people like us who are enthusiastic about learning coding could code and do other interesting things. The place sholuld be open 24 hours and have wireless internet connectivity. And only people belonging to the WnCC club should be allowed there. Is there such a place in the institute. If not, when are we applying for the same? ???
Tejas Nikumbh,
I don't have a signature yet.:P
343.gif

Prashant Sohani

Jul 29, 2011, 10:47:13 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
In fact we do have such a place somewhere... it is called Google Groups, and you are using it right now!

I strongly feel that physical distances should never be a constraint for anybody to join actively in the activities and discussions of our group. And we have several alumni as well as members from outside campus.. we'd hate to see them not joining in our discussions!

+1 to the "wireless" bit, though

Gaurav Toshniwal

Jul 29, 2011, 10:57:43 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
its not about the activities and discussions , but there is a 'feel' that is missing in the room .....

Gaurav Toshniwal
5th Year Undergraduate,
Dept. of Civil Engineering,
IIT Bombay

Vivek Saraswat

Jul 29, 2011, 10:55:22 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
+1

Vivek Saraswat,
Sophomore Undergraduate

Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
IIT Bombay
Mob:9969924136

Uttam Sikaria

Jul 29, 2011, 10:55:28 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
and most importantly.. our campus fortunately doesnt have any such thing which individuals as "members of a club" in the formal sense... so you cant deny someone any rights based on it. Yet, google groups kind of does so in a beautiful fashion :P
---
Without Wax,
Uttam Sikaria
http://utmsikaria.wordpress.com

vaibhav tolia

Jul 29, 2011, 11:27:35 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well above all your ideas I personally appreciate Tejas idea and even I feel the same this brings exclusivity to the club...
--
<?php echo("Cheers to life"); ?>
Regards,

Susmit Saraswat

Jul 29, 2011, 12:27:53 PM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps you guys need campus IRC :)

--
343.gif

Shubham Agrawal

Jul 29, 2011, 12:11:06 PM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
'exclusivity to the club' sounds like we're here to advertise so that people join this to have access to 'this dream room'
C'mon it's an open club.. so avoid thinking about exclusivity for now...

though a wireless thing can be good..

and +1 to Prashant's post..
Shubham Agrawal
Senior Undergraduate
Department of Civil Engineering
IIT Bombay
Room No. 120, Hostel 6
Contact: +91-9022574017
email: shubh...@iitb.ac.in : shubh...@gmail.com

Uttam Sikaria

Jul 29, 2011, 4:20:35 PM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
wifii sounds cool
and this might also fuel many hacking night outs

but how are u gonna make it exclusive??

---
Without Wax,
Uttam Sikaria
http://utmsikaria.wordpress.com

343.gif

Tejas Nikumbh

Jul 29, 2011, 11:50:33 AM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Exactly..physical distances do matter....And besides that, when you are obsessed with something, you want to work on it for 24 hours.. Most of the times we work late nights...and we want space and time. The room is never a good option because in some way or the other, you 'have' to mutually co-operate with your roommate putting you under constraints...

Chiraag Juvekar

Jul 29, 2011, 9:35:40 PM7/29/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Why dont you guys sit in Kresit?
Nice open environment, free wifi and I am sure nobody objects unless you create a nuisance.
Chiraag

You can't have everything in life,
In particular, the list of all lists that do not contain themselves.

Prashant Sohani

Jul 30, 2011, 12:10:09 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
+1@^

Vipul Chaudhary

Jul 30, 2011, 1:14:24 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
i heard the wifi's not free anymore.. we need CS logins for using it..

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Prashant Sohani <prashan...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1@^

Without Wax,
Vipul Chaudhary

Kovid Kapoor

Jul 30, 2011, 1:58:09 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
It's still free. You just need a CSE login. I guess it's been there for a long time now.
Kovid Kapoor | Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay | kovid.ka...@gmail.com | +9197570-52473

Harsh Pareek

Jul 30, 2011, 3:55:09 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
@Chiraag, where exactly in Kresit? In front of the auditorium? Lighting is horrible and it's dirty in the rains.

I also don't see the point of exclusivity. It's not like someone whos not interested is going to come and ruin your fun. And you'll get effective exclusivity if you post the key just on this forum.

+1 @ Campus IRC, I'm not in insti anymore. Can someone quickly volunteer and set up a server? Should take an hour at max.
I don't like the mibbit web interface. I would rather you use a dedicated client to connect to an internal server. Ditch external people for now.

Harsh Pareek | First Year Graduate Student | Computer Science | UT Austin

Prashant Sohani

Jul 30, 2011, 5:56:26 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
A round-the-clock internal server is difficult, I think. But IRC would be welcome

Harsh Pareek

Jul 30, 2011, 6:03:54 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I'm saying, in the same vein as DC++ servers

Prashant Sohani

Jul 30, 2011, 6:05:17 AM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Oh.. that is certainly possible.

Gaurav Toshniwal

Jul 30, 2011, 12:27:00 PM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
People supporting IRC: do you really think that IRC is an even close alternative to the requirement here?
In fact, IRC is the clone of googlegroups and not the physical place wished for here (ref: second post on the thread).

About KRESIT- It is a good place, but with odomos on you and yeah the flashlights that you carry with yourself. But, there is a library in KRESIT (ground floor) - I've no idea about its current utility, but yeah, I've worked there and its a real good place.
Any other alternatives?

Prashant Sohani

Jul 30, 2011, 10:50:34 PM7/30/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
IRC is different from a Google Group in the sense that chat (as opposed to mail) allows for much faster and dynamic discussions, with people joining, leaving, generally debating or just having fun! Plus, in future, if WnCC as a whole takes up some decent project to work on (or even otherwise), we'll need some way to arrange group discussions in such a way that any member can see it if he/she wants, but the choice is entirely theirs.. they are, after all, free to not join the chatroom ever. But in a Google Group, each post gets necessarily "pushed" to everyone's inbox, which is not desirable.

Apekshit Sharma

Jul 31, 2011, 4:43:21 AM7/31/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
1) but then you get to learn a lot of new things which you never stumbled upon.
2) Since not all can be online all time, you have less people to help you out.
While it'll be helpful for general tips and tricks, discussions like this one itself, needs GG.
But I accept it can supplement GG in a way, that people can chat on these issues without having to add each other on gmail chat.
--
Apekshit Sharma
Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Bombay

Pritam Baral

Aug 1, 2011, 8:25:29 AM8/1/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
The functionality provided by IRC, is supplemented (more or less) by facebook group chat. Needless to say, it's far more convenient too.

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Uttam Sikaria

Aug 1, 2011, 2:32:36 PM8/1/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
i think we lost track...
we were discussing about a mecca for coders in campus...
is the science room in SAC still in place? cant we have a wifi installed there for which users need to register - the kind which GG building offers.

---
Without Wax,
Uttam Sikaria
http://utmsikaria.wordpress.com

Prashant Sohani

Aug 1, 2011, 3:53:03 PM8/1/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well, that place is rather small and poorly ventilated, and the (current) arrangement of furniture etc will not accommodate too many people comfortably with their laptops. I don't see any easy way to change all this.

If only CSE or some other department would be kind enough to allow us a PC lab say, during the non-academic hours... is this acceptable and feasible? If not, IRC is probably the next best thing.

Tejas Nikumbh

Aug 1, 2011, 3:04:15 PM8/1/11
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Te science room lies in dust...We can do it,.. And it would be GOD.

Chiraag Juvekar

Apr 4, 2012, 10:24:02 AM4/4/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for digging up a very old post.
But considering that wncc plans for a lot of active development in the coming year, I think we really need an IRC server.
It would be especially useful during the Hacknights and Bug-Squashing events.
What say?

Amol Mandhane

Apr 4, 2012, 11:06:52 AM4/4/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Great Idea.....

Any suggestions where to set it up??

Regards,
Amol Mandhane | Sophie | Chemie | IITB

harshit mittal

Apr 4, 2012, 11:58:47 AM4/4/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
^why not just create a channel on one of the popular ones and be done with it. The issue will, of course, be the maintenance of the channel with the lan-bans and internet black-outs we face inside the insti.
--
Cheers!
Harshit

Anil

Apr 4, 2012, 12:31:25 PM4/4/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well a channel on freenode would do actually.

Apekshit Sharma

The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc