Microsoft's RoomAlive: What's it all about?

Ranveer Aggarwal

Oct 9, 2014, 12:01:13 PM10/9/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Ever wanted to turn your room into a game?

Well, supposedly, Microsoft’s been doing just that.

Last year saw the release of Illumiroom, a technology that turns the room around your TV into its extension. Neat, right? Well, Microsoft Research built upon it and recently released RoomAlive, that transforms the entire room around you into an interactive environment.

Essentially, it uses projectors and cameras, coupled with the Kinect to receive movements (even depth measurements) while projecting over the room, making it fully interactive.

Here are a few demos that were seen:

Want to know more? Here are a few links:

Regards,
Ranveer Aggarwal

Deepali Adlakha

Oct 9, 2014, 12:21:24 PM10/9/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

In my summer internship at Redmond last year, I worked on Room Alive. These guys, belonging to the Natural Interactions group at Redmond are doing a lot of cool stuff related to customising your room virtually.

My job was to build a small module to implement one of the functionalities they have incorporated in RoomAlive. It is a big project and they had a lot of interns from different universities across the world working on specific features.

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Deepali Adlakha
Computer Science And Engineering
IIT Bombay