Better organization of tags for this group, and some other issues

Dilawar

Oct 7, 2013, 7:49:36 AM10/7/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Many tags are already available but they surely are not enough. It looks like a single person created them in haste and has not be updated. A few does not make much sense (to me) such as 'summer' (but what in summer), 'manifesto' and 'Gen'. Few are too specific to be of any use such as 'Unity' which can be covered by something more general such as 'desktop-manager' or 'window-manager'. There seems to be scope for cleaning up and addition of new categories.

I would suggest to replace 'coding' with 'programming', or at least addition of this tag. Various languages can be classified into 'imperative', 'functional' and these tags can be added. There is nothing for 'tutorials' and 'expository_articles', and 'concepts'. There is nothing here to discuss some confusion in course related concepts. I doubt if the argument of 'majority is not interested' should be our guiding principle.

Grouping is also possible e.g. HTML/CSS/PhP etc can be replaced by 'Web-technologies', but I am not sure. Need a 'database' also. We can simple remove 'Events' for they can be better advertised more effectively through Facebook and GPO.

Addition of few more : 'programming concepts', 'languages', 'computations models', 'Fundamentals' etc, as need arise.

To make the group more open, we can really leave the tag creation to writers and moderators can edit/add/remove them later. I'd not mind volunteering for the group to moderate it on these lines. I can even arrange 'guest articles' by people who are working on a particular field to share their experiences.

Any thought on this one http://elgg.org/powering.php.

PS : Such discussion can also be tagged "Meta" to distinguish their non-tech nature.

--
Dilawar
NCBS Bangalore