hotspot in ubuntu

Nithin M

Jul 22, 2014, 2:37:22 PM7/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Is there any way to create an hotspot (for sharing internet with android) in ubuntu 12.04 ? i have tried many scripts , none works ... most of the scripts the hotspot is created but ip is not assigned while trying to connect .

Manish Goregaokar

Jul 23, 2014, 10:35:50 PM7/23/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Pritam's website is down, but his article on hostapd can be found here. It includes DHCP setup.

I believe there are ways to apt-get hostapd setups now as well, google might help there.

-Manish Goregaokar

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Nithin M <imnmf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any way to create an hotspot (for sharing internet with android) in ubuntu 12.04 ? i have tried many scripts , none works ... most of the scripts the hotspot is created but ip is not assigned while trying to connect .

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Sanyam Mulay

Jul 24, 2014, 12:35:12 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I have a somewhat old machine. (HP - Core2Duo). I found out that my network hardware simply does not support the Access Point mode. This might be helpful in finding that out.

Also, you might want to checkout the fact that IPv6 support is a bit flaky and there might be a in issue when you try to enable IPv6. This and this are the sources. I am not sure if the bug has been fixed in later release.

Hope this helps.

Dheerendra Rathor

Jul 24, 2014, 12:35:12 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I am using ap-hotspot in trusty and it's working perfectly and it was working with 12.04 too.

Jul 24, 2014, 3:24:54 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
NetworkManager has supported AP mode for quite a while now. Its GNOME lacks any work towards it though. If you're using KDE, you can create a new "Wireless (Shared)" connection, set the Mode from "Ad-Hoc" to "Access-Point" (or something like that), and you're good to go.

Since Ubuntu uses GNOME, it's network applet -> Edit Connections and -> Create New Wi-Fi Network are utterly useless in this regard. But the backend still supports AP mode, and if we can just side-step the applet, we can use it.

The settings and connection details are stored by NetworkManager as simple files.

sudo install -m 600 /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Hotspot /path/to/attached/Hotspot/file

should do it. From then on, whenever you need to activate it, click on the network applet -> Connect to Hidden Wi-Fi Network -> _Choose "Hotspot" from Connection drop down_

NOTE: You can't connect to other wifi networks when you are running an AP. You can't even scan for other wifi networks when you are running an AP.

@Dheerendra: Should've put in a link. There's no "ap-hotspot" or anything like it in the official Ubuntu repos.
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/how-to-set-up-wireless-hotspot-access.html

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Dheerendra Rathor

Jul 24, 2014, 4:47:32 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
yes, ap-hotspot is not part of official repos. You have to add webupd8 in apt-repositories.

avneesh kumar

Jul 24, 2014, 4:47:34 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Pritam Baral

Jul 24, 2014, 4:58:41 AM7/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I keep forgetting stuff. Here's the NetworkManager connection. Install via:

sudo install -m 600 /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Hotspot /path/to/attached/file

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Hotspot