HN (Hacker News) -like website for IITB

rohit kishan

Jul 1, 2014, 2:32:16 AM7/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi
    As you might have observed, the signal to noise ratio on hacker news is quite low these days. Most of the front page is filled with startup news or some tech announcements. A large number of stories are related to current 'hot' languages. Rust, Go seem to be the favourite languages right now. Lisp (any variant of it) is an eternal favourite. If you don't know these languages most of these posts will be irrelevant. This problem can be solved to some extent using tags. The content on lobste.rs is slightly better. It uses tags and requires an invitation to signup. I think the main problem with the content quality is due to the number of people on these sites. So, Would it make sense to have a website like HN for IITB? (It can be expanded if it gains enough traction by allowing users to invite others). This google group has some interesting links and stories but It mostly contains things related to troubleshooting and insti announcements. So, What do you think?

Pritam Baral

Jul 1, 2014, 3:18:13 AM7/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
HN is expected to have startup news and tech announcements. It has historically had the same sort of content. h̶o̶t̶ New languages also fall into the category of new tech.

IITB's community is pretty sparse. Making a new IITB-only forum would make sense if this googlegroup were overwhelmed and facing organisational issues, but that is not the case. I do not think a new IITB-only site would inspire a spur of content. Get some content raised, get people to overcome the reservations and post here. If it seems like discussions here need some voting feedback, we can think of a forum.

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM, rohit kishan <rohithki...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Rohith Kishan

Jul 1, 2014, 4:02:13 AM7/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I doubt that HN had same sort of content historically. There had been many stories regarding the decreasing content quality. Even PG commented a couple of times about this issue. Anyways, I'm not saying that this is a problem with HN. Maybe It's supposed to be that way. What I am asking is, can we build a community which is more focused on science i.e. which is more interesting for a student. May be not restricted to IITB. Someone asked a question regarding this on HN recently (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7961893). That question explains it better.

Twishmay Shankar

Jul 1, 2014, 4:02:15 AM7/1/14
to wncc_iitb
Hope you've seen this: hackerstreet.in

India focused. Not that good in quality though.

A forum for India is required? Maybe.
Another hacker news? Not really.

Best Regards,

Twishmay Shankar

Dilawar Singh

Jul 1, 2014, 6:13:26 AM7/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I guess most programmers moved to stackoverflow and stackexchange where there is
only signal and very little noise; or running their own small small portals.

WnCC would serve much better if it concentrate on local-issues. There is nothing
wrong in thinking 'globally'. Mere posting links doesn't help, its simply
laziness. No doubt, everything else has been done before and there are better
and nicer work available, but thats never the point behind recreational
activities.

And as Pritam pointed out, how to get newcomers post their problems. How to
make sure that they don't feel that people at other forums are more helpful and
kind to them their own colleagues?

Dliawar
NCBS Bangalore