Google Code Jam 2013!!

Guna Prasaad

Apr 10, 2013, 2:40:56 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Intro
Google Code Jam
 is an international programming competition hosted and administered by Google. The competition began in 2003 as a means to identify top engineering talent for potential employment at Google. The competition consists of a set of algorithmic problems which must be solved in a fixed amount of time. Competitors may use any programming language and development environment to obtain their solutions.

What now?
Registration for Google Code Jam 2013 is now open!
The Google Code Jam Qualification Round will start on Friday, April 12, 2013.

About the Competition
The competition consists of four online rounds, culminating in the world finals held at Google's office in London, United Kingdom this August. The winner of Code Jam 2013 will walk away with a $15,000 prize, the coveted title of Code Jam Champion, and automatic qualification in the Code Jam 2014 finals to defend his or her title.

Register Here, then start practicing!
For further details, have a look at the FAQs

Guna Prasaad

Apr 10, 2013, 2:42:46 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Do reply here, if you are participating!!

Antariksh Bothale

Apr 10, 2013, 2:43:54 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Participating.

2013/4/10 Guna Prasaad <guna...@gmail.com>
The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

Antariksh Bothale | Business Analyst @ A. T. Kearney

Tanmay Srivastava

Apr 10, 2013, 2:54:00 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Participating! :)

Tejas Nikumbh

Apr 10, 2013, 3:12:33 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating :)

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Tanmay Srivastava <t.sriva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Participating! :)

The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

Tejas Nikumbh,
Third Year Undergraduate,
Electrical Engineering Department,
IIT Bombay.

Deependra Patel

Apr 10, 2013, 3:47:59 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Participating :)

Anil

Apr 10, 2013, 3:50:52 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

qualification round is usually a cake walk - all should participate

Dheerendra Rathor

Apr 10, 2013, 3:53:19 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

Ranveer Aggarwal

Apr 10, 2013, 3:54:53 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Participating
Ranveer Aggarwal
First Year Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Bombay

Parthasarathi Panda

Apr 10, 2013, 4:11:11 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

Rakesh Ranjan Nayak

Apr 10, 2013, 4:03:19 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

Mahindar Kota Ananda Kumar

Apr 10, 2013, 4:24:44 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

Bharadwaj Rallabandi

Apr 10, 2013, 4:30:39 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM, syamantak naskar <syamant...@gmail.com> wrote:
Participating

Saswat Padhi

Apr 10, 2013, 4:54:54 AM4/10/13
to Web and Coding Club IITB

You can make a quick Google form and ask people to fill that instead.
That'll save everyone from spams.

Sai Krishna

Apr 10, 2013, 4:47:21 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Particpating

Shubham Jain

Apr 10, 2013, 4:53:55 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating..:)

Guna Prasaad

Apr 10, 2013, 5:06:50 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
@All sorry for spamming!
The main idea of this being that when people know their friends or seniors are participating, they tend to try a hand at it. Moreover, the mails from the same thread gets added into one conversation, don't they?

@Saswat We are thinking of a discussion forum, to remove such problems. I am preparing a proposal for the same. Will put it in the group soon!
regards,
Guna Prasaad

Pratyaksh Sharma

Apr 10, 2013, 5:07:00 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Participating.

Tanuj Bhojwani

Apr 10, 2013, 5:23:47 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I don't know why so many people in IIT groups cry spam so much. Technically, mails like these are not even spam, and I find calling them so is more annoying than real spam.

You can't subscribe to a group and expect all mails to be 100% relevant to you. If a few replies on a thread bother you, don't go about discouraging people who are participating. There are certain email etiquettes everyone should have, which I think most active posters on this group follow. If you're asking for more, its really your problem not someone else's.

If you're on gmail, here are things you can do to take control of your inbox:

-Choose to get a digest instead of every mail from this group
-Use Other Inbox's Organizer (http://www.otherinbox.com/)
-Mute a thread(shortcut m) if you think the replies on a thread are no longer relevant to you.
-If all else fails, unsubscribe from the group or use the web to browse its content and protect your precious inbox.

@Guna
Don't be apologetic, it'll discourage others from posting. I wouldn't advise moving to a discussion forum. Personally, I'm bound to check my inbox and will engage in conversations as they happen, but probably will not do so with a discussion forum. I'm in no position to say if that's true of most members here, but it is true of most people I've worked with.

Thanks,
Tanuj

Regards,

Tanuj Bhojwani
+91 98671 04169

Saswat Padhi

Apr 10, 2013, 6:06:37 AM4/10/13
to Web and Coding Club IITB
I don't know why so many people in IIT groups cry spam so much.
Simple because when I see a new reply on a WnCC thread, I don't expect to see "participating" as a single line reply; over and over again.

Technically, mails like these are not even spam, and I find calling them so is more annoying than real spam.
Technically, Google defines spam as: "Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet." Which brings all these "participating" one-liners, well under the domain of spam.

You can't subscribe to a group and expect all mails to be 100% relevant to you. If a few replies on a thread bother you, don't go about discouraging people who are participating.
Just to make myself clear, I don't discourage people from participating in GCJ. I do discourage them to keep posting "participating" on this thread. I hope you do realize that these are two different things!

There are certain email etiquettes everyone should have, which I think most active posters on this group follow. If you're asking for more, its really your problem not someone else's.

If you're on gmail, here are things you can do to take control of your inbox:

-Choose to get a digest instead of every mail from this group
-Use Other Inbox's Organizer (http://www.otherinbox.com/)
-Mute a thread(shortcut m) if you think the replies on a thread are no longer relevant to you.
-If all else fails, unsubscribe from the group or use the web to browse its content and protect your precious inbox.
Yes, just as you can take control of and "organise" your inbox, so you can organise information as well.
Instead of having people to reply "participating" on a thread, I think it makes sense to rather have an organised list of people who want to participate.
WnCC could rather have a form or spreadsheet that people can fill in; rather than having everyone polluting this thread, which could have been otherwise used for useful queries that people could have regarding the competition.

@Guna
Don't be apologetic, it'll discourage others from posting. I wouldn't advise moving to a discussion forum. Personally, I'm bound to check my inbox and will engage in conversations as they happen, but probably will not do so with a discussion forum. I'm in no position to say if that's true of most members here, but it is true of most people I've worked with.

Tanuj Bhojwani

Apr 10, 2013, 6:34:37 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I've sent an email to saswat directly. Having already said what I had to say, didn't want to bother everyone else with pointless discussions over the semantics of what is spam.

Just one more clarification to saswat's email. By participating I meant "participating in the group/discussions on the group" and not "participating in GCJ".

Regards,

Tanuj Bhojwani
+91 98671 04169

Praveen Sampath

Apr 10, 2013, 6:03:49 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Tanuj Bhojwani <tanuj.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know why so many people in IIT groups cry spam so much. Technically, mails like these are not even spam, and I find calling them so is more annoying than real spam.

When a bunch of people are just posting 'participating' on a Google group meant for meaningful discussion, I don't know what else to call it but spam.

You can't subscribe to a group and expect all mails to be 100% relevant to you. If a few replies on a thread bother you, don't go about discouraging people who are participating. There are certain email etiquettes everyone should have, which I think most active posters on this group follow. If you're asking for more, its really your problem not someone else's.

When I subscribe to a group, I don't expect 100% mails to relevant to me, but I expect 0% of the mails to be annoying. I agree that most threads on this group adhere to the 'email etiquette' that you speak of, but this thread is certainly not one of them. All I'm saying is, you don't really want to look at a thread where a whole lot of people are just posting their intention of participating in a programming competition.

--
Ciao,

PRAVEEN SAMPATH
CSE
Third Year Undergraduate
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay

Antariksh Bothale

Apr 10, 2013, 5:26:00 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
My favorite personal peeve is: "Junta! Please start spamming ideas!"

Yeah, right.

2013/4/10 Tanuj Bhojwani <tanuj.b...@gmail.com>

Shubham Jain

Apr 10, 2013, 5:08:08 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
can we use multiple languages

Tanuj Bhojwani

Apr 10, 2013, 8:38:33 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Sigh.

Guna started a thread to encourage GCJ participation. He then writes a mail saying, and I quote,

Do reply here, if you are participating!!

and as he says in a later mail because
The main idea of this being that when people know their friends or seniors are participating, they tend to try a hand at it.

At this point what were you expecting except one-liners saying participating? Mute and move on.

And you may not be interested in knowing who is participating, but others may be. That's hardly a case for classifying it as annoying or spam.

Regards,

Tanuj Bhojwani
+91 98671 04169

Prateek Chandan

Apr 10, 2013, 6:03:38 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating

rahul singhal

Apr 10, 2013, 5:33:13 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
participating!!

Dilawar Singh

Apr 10, 2013, 9:48:36 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well, if one can ignore sort of reactions and opinion followed after he spoke what was on his mind. His main point was

     You can make a quick Google form and ask people to fill that instead.

It would have made more impact, if he could have kept his annoyance for one-liner to himself. And using the word 'spam' which means different things to different people has also cause some annoyance among others. I believe we all concur when one joins a group, one is promising to at least tolerate, if not encourage, those activities which are not to his taste. But he should be allowed to make his case.

Much of what followed after his comment seems to be an innocent flame-war : it happens on all groups to some extent. We can now surely move on if we wish to.

PS : Forms is a better way to collect information. One can make it public, if respondents agree, such that others can see it. Forming a policy for group is a good idea. What is allowed to post is usually hard. Mentioning clearly and categorically the stuff which is not allowed (with such as examples) should not be that hard. Else there will always be this sort of confusion.

--
Dilawar
EE, IIT-B

Ishaan Rakshit

Apr 10, 2013, 2:26:35 PM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Participating

Bharat Singhvi

Apr 10, 2013, 5:29:17 AM4/10/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Inline images 1

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Tanuj Bhojwani <tanuj.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Regards
Bharat Singhvi
M.Tech Final Year,
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering,
IIT Bombay.

Guna Prasaad

Apr 11, 2013, 7:24:56 AM4/11/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well, I think this discussion about spam has become quite irrelevant to the main idea behind the thread. May be the next time, we'll have such exercises in a more organised fashion, as Saswat said. I am moderating any new message about spam. So, this is going to be the last mail regarding this. However, we can discuss about GCJ here!!

Anil

Apr 13, 2013, 4:02:13 AM4/13/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Junta