Re: [WnCC] HELP regarding hosting services

Gaurav Toshniwal

Apr 3, 2013, 8:27:59 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Webfaction is good, with very good documentation and a lot of features out-of-the box.
Just check if it has JAVA.

It also has a monthly payment option.

Regards
--
Gaurav Toshniwal
Co-founder,

On 03-Apr-2013, at 5:32 PM, kanwal wrote:

HI
I wanted an environment with apache tomcat and mysql services for java website. I'm willing to pay for it, however the deployment procedure should be pain free, just like in jelastic.com , I was using this service but unfortunately it started charging me and the prices are way too high. I need to find an easy hosting services asap, my rnd project is on a hold because of this.
Thanking you

The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

tapan pandita

Apr 3, 2013, 8:25:16 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Try heroku. One web dyno is free and they support java. Deployment is very very easy.

pathankhan salman

Apr 3, 2013, 8:21:51 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
use amazon aws (elastic beanstalk, amazon rds)

Thank you,
Salman Khan,

Puzzles, entertainment and more ...... -  My Blog

kanwal prakash singh

Apr 3, 2013, 8:38:21 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Amazon requires credit card, I dont have it

Kanwal Prakash Singh | Senior Undergraduate | Computer Science & Engineering | IIT Bombay | http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~kanwal

Pritam Baral

Apr 3, 2013, 9:31:26 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

If you have an SBI account, you can create virtual credit cards that are usable with Amazon.

Amazon has a problem with Indian _debit_ cards.

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Kovid Kapoor

Apr 3, 2013, 9:36:43 AM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Just curious, can someone give an estimate of how much these services cost, on a monthly basis? (with a low level of bandwidth required).
Kovid Kapoor | Analytics Specials | Opera Solutions, LLC | +91-81304-91776

Anil Shanbhag

Apr 3, 2013, 12:36:40 PM4/3/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Webfaction - ~8.50$ per month

Digital Ocean - ~5$ per month / 10$ per month

Amazon - ~46$ per month

Heroku - a free tier - beyond that more expensive than above.
Anil Shanbhag
Manager, WnCC

Mayank Singhal

Apr 3, 2013, 9:40:32 PM4/3/13
to wncc_iitb
DigitalOcean - Free only for ~4 months.

Heroku - Amazingly smooth deployment and third party integration at the expense of some portability and money.

Mayank Singhal

Kovid Kapoor

Apr 4, 2013, 2:03:42 AM4/4/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. But that seems to be an extremely wide range - 5$ to 46$ per month.
Why is Amazon so much more expensive? Better load management/library support? Anything particularly wrong with webfaction/digital ocean?

Mayank Singhal

Apr 4, 2013, 5:29:23 AM4/4/13
to wncc_iitb

Different offerings, I guess.

Amazon is PaaS. WebFaction and DO offer just VPSes. Heroku is actually more expensive than AWS as it is build on it.

tapan pandita

Apr 4, 2013, 5:21:10 AM4/4/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Webfaction provides shared hosting. It's great for testing things out but can't really handle loads. You are stuck in a chrooted environment without root access (correct me if I am wrong about this).

Amazon, digital ocean and linode are VPSs. You get full root access to your machine and can install and do whatever you want on it. From my experience, digital ocean has poor bandwidth as compared to Linode or Amazon (Linode is 20$ a month).

Heroku is a Platform as a service, so deployment of an application is very smooth. However, the heroku file system is read only, so if you expect to be handling user uploads, you will need to use S3 (or similar) to save them. Also, you cannot really install whatever you want on it (unless you want to write your own buildpack).

If you know what you are doing and are doing something standard (like deploying a web app in django/RoR/Grails etc.), heroku is probably the most seamless to deploy to and the easiest to scale. If you just want a box to experiment and do what you want, Amazon or Linode are really good. Amazon has a free tier too, so you could use that.

Sudarshan Wadkar

Apr 4, 2013, 7:06:24 AM4/4/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
If you ever sign up on AWS. Make sure you know exactly how much it'll cost (includes everything, IP address, network I/O, EBS disk I/O, S3, and god knows what all).

Or be prepared for a surprise monthly bill :P

-S

Pritam Baral

Apr 4, 2013, 10:52:08 AM4/4/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Amazon AWS has a very profitable use-case; a use-case that it brought to the market itself: flexible, fluctuating loads.

AWS is not intended for running your traditional year-long, always-running server. Its profitability is not in cheaper per-server costs (that is actually costlier.) Its profitability lies in the ability to cut-down costs on a per-hour basis.

A general rule of thumb to see if migrating to AWS will be of financial benefit: if your current set-up can be totally replicated and handled by using the lowest AWS tier (micro,) then don't use AWS.

AWS does have a lot of other points going for it too.. ELB, EBS, free incoming traffic blah blah blah.

For example, I recently convinced a VP of a large advertising company to use AWS, just because their use-case involved once-in-a-blue-moon, and even then abysmally low processing, but gradually growing long-term storage needs. (PS: Their IT department wasn't too thrilled.)

^Just saying you don't have to judge AWS based only on your processing needs.

But be watchful of what you would run though. AWS is not for everything and everyone. Use it only if you're sure you need it (and are prepared to waste a whole day banging your head trying to figure out the monstrosity of a complexity that it is.)

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Sudarshan Wadkar

Apr 4, 2013, 11:38:43 AM4/4/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Pritam Baral <chhato...@gmail.com> wrote:
But be watchful of what you would run though. AWS is not for everything and everyone. Use it only if you're sure you need it (and are prepared to waste a whole day banging your head trying to figure out the monstrosity of a complexity that it is.)
Touche!

-Sudhi :)