Informal Meetup -1 | 22 Jan | 9:30 pm Onwards

Sushant

Jan 21, 2014, 12:49:22 PM1/21/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

WnCC is a pretty active online community but when it comes to offline interaction
we have a very limited reach.

To improve the offline interaction, we are planning to keep informal meetups,
couple of times each month, to come together and discuss about a particular
topic.

To start the meetups, we have with us Praveen.

Praveen used to be a Senior System Administrator with Red Hat in Pune. Now
he is just travelling around India promoting digital commons and meeting people.
He also contributes to debian  and maintains many ruby libraries needed for diaspora.
He was also a mentor with SMC for Google Summer of Code in 2007.

Praveen basically wants to meet like minded people who are interested to
contribute and promote open source.
Also he wishes to discuss further about privacy issues and Internet freedom.

This seems to be a decent topic to start off the meetups!
Currently we have decided to meetup in H8 lounge from 9:30 pm onwards.
Interested people can join us! :)

Also if there are any further suggestions regarding venue/timing
we can discuss it on this thread.

Regards,
Sushant Hiray,
Manager WnCC

Nivvedan (நிவேதன்)

Jan 21, 2014, 4:27:04 PM1/21/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Nice initiative. And a great topic :)
The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

To protect the integrity of this communication, this email is digitally signed with my PGP identity 0x779DC7CC. You can use the encryption key 819F58AD to send me encrypted emails. Do trust the key and pass it on. Help build the web of trust!

If you don't use a PGP/MIME compatible email client, you can use the attached signature file 'signature.asc' to verify the integrity of this communication.
signature.asc

Sushant

Jan 22, 2014, 10:23:05 AM1/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com, nivv...@gmail.com

REMINDER!

9:30 pm Onwards! H8 Lounge

In case of any issues call me at +91-7588557512

Warm Regards,
Sushant Hiray

Manish Goregaokar

Jan 23, 2014, 5:57:15 PM1/23/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Some key topics discussed:

 - Privacy: Would you be comfortable with all your "private" data being public?
 - What do websites do with your data? How do they justify it? The justification is usually different from the purpose, are you comfortable with that?
 - Most companies using the data do not provide a service, they provide convenience while using a service. E.g. Google's sorted results, Facebook's newsfeed algorithm, etc.
 - Are you comfortable with others minting money from your data?
 - Where does one draw boundaries on privacy?
 - What if a less trusted entity gets access to your data?

In addition, we discussed quite a bit about web security, anonymity, SSL/TLS implementation in HTTPS and flaws. The discussion later became one of IITBs infrastructure and security.

-Manish Goregaokar

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

$udhi :)

Jan 23, 2014, 9:36:42 PM1/23/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
This is cool stuff guys!

Wish I was in insti for this. I am doing Engineering Privacy in Software course this semester and have developed my own affection for the field.

Interestingly, the privacy issue has become the new "security by design" issue amongst product developers. There are countless implications of guidelines, regulations and laws governing the issue of personal information and privacy. Surprisingly, lawyers and not software engineers are at the forefront of shaping this field. They have come up with taxonomy to describe various events and situations related privacy. The field is in its formative stage where researchers are building cool stuff like "parsers" to analyze "privacy conflicts" by reading facebook/zynga/AOL's privacy policy.

One can see job titles specifically catering to privacy engineering. I am expecting a surge in research, work and development in this field in coming years.

Cheers,
~$udhi :)