Amazon EC2 Security groups

vaibhav tolia

Feb 22, 2014, 5:05:38 AM2/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have been facing little problem with amazon EC2 security groups. Security groups enable the access of different services on different ports. I have services running on port 3000 (node server) and 5280 (xmpp server) but somehow I can't access them (browser/curl) . Is is because of proxy issue or something ?

I have tried setting security groups from amazon's dashboard, the Command Line interface which tell the port is open but I cannot access it.

Anyone facing the same issues or anyone any idea how to resolve it ?

Thanks

Manish Goregaokar

Feb 22, 2014, 6:16:47 AM2/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
From IITB?

All ports except for 80 (HTTP), 22 (SSH), and 443 (HTTPS) are blocked.

You can use ssh -D 8000 user...@website.com (to any place you have ssh access to) to create a SOCKS tunnel out. Then you can tell your browser/curl to use localhost:8000 as a socks proxy (you have to set network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true in Firefox as well, unless you're on Nightly where there's a UI preference), and you ought to have access to all ports.

-Manish Goregaokar

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Pritam Baral

Feb 22, 2014, 6:18:10 AM2/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
You can use netmon for http on any port.

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Manish Goregaokar

Feb 22, 2014, 9:56:37 AM2/22/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Whoa, just tried it. TIL.

:D

-Manish Goregaokar

vaibhav tolia

Feb 23, 2014, 5:20:19 PM2/23/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Well I tested it on 3G it was working properly. Mostly is a proxy issue, even using internet.iitb.ac.in doesn't really make it completely open for access. As mentioned by manish we can access only the same ports. So how does fb-chat or gtalk work in insti ??

These chat clients use XMPP protocol and BOSH is quite slow and uses a lot of bandwidth. Any idea about xmpp is implemented bu any of these chat clients ?

Thanks

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM, vaibhav tolia <vaibha...@gmail.com> wrote:
TIL ??
--
Regards,
Vaibhav Tolia

--
Regards,
Vaibhav Tolia

Manish Goregaokar

Feb 24, 2014, 7:42:50 AM2/24/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
It's the other way around, with netmon you can access arbitrary ports using the HTTP protocol.

Google talk uses port 80/443, and IIRC it has an HTTPS fallback. But I don't think xmpp works too well over port 80 (I am able to connect to it via irssi from outside, but not inside, the insti).  Google is deprecating xmpp support for Hangouts/Talk so that's probably the issue.

Kamal was able to connect to the FB xmpp server from the insti, and after having a look it looks like chat.facebook.com  can serve  XMPP over port 80 if necessary.

Also, TIL=Today I Learned.

-Manish Goregaokar