Dota 2

Avinaash Anand

Nov 9, 2013, 9:03:03 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
is there any way to direct steam client through our insti's proxy?

Manish Goregaokar

Nov 9, 2013, 9:38:50 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
The problem here is twofold:
 - Steam uses UDP (fixable by using a -tcp flag)
 - Steam uses all sorts of ports that are not 80, 22, or 443 (HTTP, SSH, HTTPS)

The second one is the killer. Our insti blocks everything but those three ports. It can be fixed, but requires effort:

 - Get a profs login and use IFWB. IIRC there's no port blocking for profs, but I'm not sure of this. This is probably not possible for you :P
 - Get access to a server on the outside and SOCKS tunnel to it. Again, not possible.
 - Use Tor. Download the Tor browser bundle, set it up, and then tell Steam to use localhst:9050 as a SOCKS proxy. This will be maddeningly slow, however. Useful if you want to download something small, useless for playing online or downloading large things.

-Manish Goregaokar

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Avinaash Anand <avina...@gmail.com> wrote:
is there any way to direct steam client through our insti's proxy?

The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

Pratyush Nalam

Nov 9, 2013, 9:35:16 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Steam uses UDP ports (blocked by netmon). However, its FAQ page says you can use TCP. But, the TCP ports are 27014 to 27050 which are again blocked by netmon. And Steam’s FAQ page also says this:

Ports required for Steam can not be re-mapped to HTTP or reconfigured to a custom port range.

In short, I don't think there is any hope.

Vibhu Gupta

Nov 9, 2013, 10:05:10 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Workarounds exist. The best pings you can get are ~250, which aren't good enough. If you just want to update, it's fine.

I'd advise you to tread carefully though. A guy's laptop was confiscated by H4's warden for two days because he was playing Dota 2. On lan.
--
Vibhu Gupta
3rd Year Undergraduate

Pratyush Nalam

Nov 9, 2013, 9:44:39 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Tor necessarily doesn't use 9050. It was something else for me if I remember right.

Rakshit C

Nov 9, 2013, 10:50:32 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

I personally use tor, and proxifier to tunnel all the steam traffic through tor(sending all the traffic through netmon fails). It's slow, 300-400kbits down, but it works.

Rakshit C

Nov 9, 2013, 11:07:55 AM11/9/13
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Tor uses 9150,  and yeah ping is pretty bad so don't think of playing online multiplayer with it. It's good only for game updates and download (if you have some in your library)

Abhinaba Ray

Aug 17, 2015, 1:44:10 PM8/17/15
to Web and Coding Club IIT Bombay

Can we convince the computer centre to unblock the steam client instead of porns? Please, lets make it a global concern, because without video games people are turning violent!!!!

Manish Goregaokar

Aug 17, 2015, 2:36:27 PM8/17/15
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Probably not.

Steam is "blocked" due to two reasons: (a) it needs UDP (easily circumvented, run steam with -tcp), (b) it needs a bunch of ports, CC only gives us three ports for generic use.

They've not specifically chosen steam to block. It's a blanket block. Even noncontroversial protocols like IRC are blocked, and if they don't have a chance of getting unblocked, we'd have a harder time convincing them to unblock the steam ports.

(SMTP -- email -- is another example, though there are legitimate reasons for being a bit careful around that one)

Feel free to send them an email and try, though.

Otherwise, just use VPN (kepard is a free client). Steam can download games on your regular fast IITB connection if you turn VPN off after logging in and initiating the downloads.

-Manish Goregaokar

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/