desktop sharing over internet on ubuntu 9.10

pranav_j

Jun 17, 2010, 1:54:21 AM6/17/10
to Web and Coding Club IITB
Hi

I'm trying to set up my system to be accessed from out of the campus.
There is this default option in sys->admin
for remote desktop but it can only accept local connections.

if anybody has done this sort of thing please explain / give pointers.

Thanks.

Shambulingayya.N.Doddapujar

Jun 17, 2010, 3:28:41 AM6/17/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hey_ I doubt that u may not behaving a public ip to access ur desktop outside iitb campus(i.e outside intranet).is it????????????
Shambu

Ankush Jain

Jun 17, 2010, 2:51:10 AM6/17/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Proxy won't let u do that(it hides urself frm the outside -- thats what a proxy is :) )
You cannot do that until u have a tunnel.
There is one provided by cse dept..

pranav_j

Jun 17, 2010, 9:46:50 AM6/17/10
to Web and Coding Club IITB
oh, ok. thanks for info.

@ankush
i saw this faq page (cse dept)
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~swlab/faq.html
it says

Q. How to login to a PC inside IIT from outside?
Do
ssh sec...@login.iitb.ac.in -p 5022
password : extvoxacc
After this, you will be prompted for your mars login. Enter your cse
login and password here. You will get a mars login shell. From there
you can connect to any machine.

but i'm nt in cse, am in ee. can anything be done?

Neel Mehta

Jun 17, 2010, 11:44:14 AM6/17/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
FOR EE: http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/wiki/labs/pclab/faq

How do I log in from outside?

SSH to login.iitb.ac.in on port 7022 with username as gateway and password as toiitb. You will be prompted for your sharada username, and it will open an SSH connection to sharada. In case you need to transfer files, use your personal homepage.

To connect from Unix-like systems (UNIX, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X), use
ssh gat...@login.iitb.ac.in -p 7022.
To use a Windows SSH client, you need to configure it to use port 7022.

Thanks and Regards,
Neel Mehta
Third year Undergraduate student,
Electrical Engineering,
IIT Bombay

Sudarshan Wadkar

Jun 17, 2010, 4:35:53 PM6/17/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
or for that matter, you can connect to any dept
just remember your dept ip e.g. chem is 10.103.xx.xx
here is the web page containing the complete info
http://web.iitb.ac.in/web/outside-access.php

~$udhi
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get."
- Dale Carnegie
"It's always our decision who we are"
- Robert Solomon in Waking Life

Ravi Bhoraskar

Jun 17, 2010, 6:49:52 PM6/17/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
here is the web page containing the complete info
http://web.iitb.ac.in/web/outside-access.php
Ironically, this webpage is not accessible from outside IIT. So to see it you need to tunnel into the IITB intranet. But to know how, you need to see the page. See the  chicken and egg situation?

pranav_j

Jun 18, 2010, 1:05:03 AM6/18/10
to Web and Coding Club IITB
thanks, i'll try this.

On Jun 18, 1:35 am, Sudarshan Wadkar <wad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> or for that matter, you can connect to any dept
> just remember your dept ip e.g. chem is 10.103.xx.xx
> here is the web page containing the complete infohttp://web.iitb.ac.in/web/outside-access.php
>
> ~$udhi
> "Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get."
> - Dale Carnegie
> "It's always our decision who we are"
> - Robert Solomon in Waking Life
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Neel Mehta <neelmeht...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > FOR EE:http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/wiki/labs/pclab/faq
>
> > How do I log in from outside?
>
> > SSH to login.iitb.ac.in on *port 7022* with username as *gateway* and
> > password as *toiitb*. You will be prompted for your sharada username, and
> > it will open an SSH connection to sharada. In case you need to transfer
> > files, use your personal homepage.
>
> > To connect from Unix-like systems (UNIX, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X), use
> > ssh gate...@login.iitb.ac.in -p 7022.
> > To use a Windows SSH client, you need to configure it to use port 7022.
>
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Neel Mehta
> > Third year Undergraduate student,
> > Electrical Engineering,
> > IIT Bombay
>
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM, pranav_j <pranavshri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> oh, ok. thanks for info.
>
> >> @ankush
> >> i saw this faq page (cse dept)
> >>http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~swlab/faq.html<http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/%7Eswlab/faq.html>
> >> it says
>
> >> Q. How to login to a PC inside IIT from outside?
> >> Do
> >> ssh sec...@login.iitb.ac.in -p 5022
> >> password : extvoxacc
> >> After this, you will be prompted for your mars login. Enter your cse
> >> login and password here. You will get a mars login shell. From there
> >> you can connect to any machine.
>
> >> but i'm nt in cse, am in ee. can anything be done?

> >> --
>
> >  --
> > .

Sudarshan Wadkar

Jun 18, 2010, 4:19:48 AM6/18/10
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
or, one can be a smart ass, and ask someone inside iit to attach it as html, or better still
ctrl+c and ctrl+v happens to work like charm :P
Accessing IIT servers from Outside IIT
Facility is provided to connect to IIT servers (one per department) from outside IIT using telnet and ssh. This facility is implemented by server login.iitb.ac.in.

To access any dept. server, one has to use the port allocated for that dept. For each server there are two ports allocated; one for telnet and one for ssh.

e.g. To access cse dept server using telnet the following command is used
telnet login.iitb.ac.in 5023

e.g. To access cse dept server using ssh the following command is used
ssh -p 5022 login.iitb.ac.in

NOTE: Though each server can be accessed using telnet and ssh, it is recommended that you use ssh, so that your passwords are not sent in cleartext on the network. The windows clients for secure shell and secure copy can be downloaded from here. Putty. Pscp.

Department Server Name Telnet port ssh port
ACRE brahma.acre 9823 9822
Aerospace vayu.aero 1023 1022
BTC helix.btc 24023 24022
CASDE casde.casde 1021 1020
CC pawan.cc 10623 10622
CC - PARAM ??.cc 11323 11322
CFDVS banyan.cfdvs 14423 14422
Chemistry ether.chem 2023 2022
Chemical cupid.che 3023 3022
Civil gemini.civil 4023 4022
CSE surya.cse 5023 5022
CSRE disha.csre 10523 10522
Earth Sciences pearl.geos 6023 6022
Electrical bhairav.ee 7023 7022
HSS manashi.hss 8023 8022
IDC pragati.idc 13023 13022
IRCC rnd.ircc 9123 9122
KRESIT akash.it 29023 29022
Mathematics sankhya.math 9023 9022
Mechanical epsilon.me 10023 10022
Metallurgy ispat.met 11023 11022
Physics niharika.phy 12023 12022
SOM chanakya.som 27023 27022
SysCon niyantrak.sc 12323 12322

yeah, most welcome :)

~$udhi
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get."
- Dale Carnegie
"It's always our decision who we are"
- Robert Solomon in Waking Life

Sudarshan Wadkar