Ubuntu Installation Session

Ranveer Aggarwal

Jan 25, 2014, 7:31:53 AM1/25/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
We are all well into the spring semester of 2014 and many of us require Linux on our laptops.
So, we are conducting a session, wherein we'll be installing Linux on your laptop in whatever way you want - Standalone OS or Dual Boot.
All those interested, bring your laptops with chargers. Details of the event are as follows:
Venue: New Software Lab (NSL)
Time: 6:30 PM
Date: Sunday, 26th January 2014
Since we cannot this alone, we would be needing volunteers. All those interested, please fill in your details here.

Regards,
Ranveer Aggarwal
Convener
Web and Coding Club
IIT Bombay

girish chukka

Jan 25, 2014, 9:22:05 AM1/25/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to do dual booting on windows8 system?

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Girish Chukka

Sushant Hiray

Jan 25, 2014, 11:40:52 AM1/25/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is possible.
Come during the installation session, we will help you install it.

Sushant Hiray,
Manager, Web & Coding Club,
IIT Bombay

Akash Bunde

Jan 25, 2014, 11:17:14 PM1/25/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
formatting hdd would b required if v hv single partition and v need dual boot ???

Manish Goregaokar

Jan 26, 2014, 1:23:16 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Most drives can be resized without corrupting the data. A notable exception is the C: drive on a Vista computer; for some reason Vista uses both ends of the drive and thus it can't be shrunk.

-Manish Goregaokar

Chinmay Rajhans

Jan 26, 2014, 2:11:45 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Which Ubuntu version you are planning to install/
Ubuntu 13.10 or 12.04 or 12.04.3?
You will keep UEFI boot enabled or no/ There were some laptops getting problems when it was enabled right/

Thank you.

Guna Prasaad

Jan 26, 2014, 2:26:04 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

I request all the people interested to come to the venue directly and clear your doubts. Let's not spam the group and disturb others. We are going to meet anyway. All your queries will be answered in person.

Guna Prasaad
Third Year Undergraduate,
Computer Science & Engineering,
IIT Bombay

Ranveer Aggarwal

Jan 26, 2014, 2:29:10 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

We'll be mostly going for 12.04.03.
We'll try to keep UEFI enabled. But on some laptops it's just not possible. Keep data backup for safety.

Ranveer Aggarwal

Dilawar Singh

Jan 26, 2014, 4:02:26 AM1/26/14
to wncc_iitb
I am not sure if any of it qualifies for spam. Someone else might have same kind of doubt. One can easily revisit the thread, its permanent. Besides there is a setting in group which limits the email received. Those who are hypersensitive about length and frequency of emails can use this feature. Why discourage genuine doubt?
Dilawar
NCBS Bangalore

Nivvedan (நிவேதன்)

Jan 26, 2014, 5:04:37 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Correct me if I'm wrong Guna, but I think what Guna was trying to say was that when a session is being organized to tackle these exact doubts, there is no need for the apparent urgency to get these doubts clarified just hours before the session.
The doubts are genuine I'm sure - but would have been more appropriate if one couldn't attend the session or if it is pertaining to something that is not covered in the session.
--
To protect the integrity of this communication, this email is digitally signed with my PGP identity 0x779DC7CC. You can use the encryption key 819F58AD to send me encrypted emails. Do trust the key and pass it on. Help build the web of trust!

If you don't use a PGP/MIME compatible email client, you can use the attached signature file 'signature.asc' to verify the integrity of this communication.
signature.asc

Dilawar Singh

Jan 26, 2014, 11:00:55 AM1/26/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm. Well I mean no offence to anyone but I wish to share my two chavanees.
There are two things: first no matter how one rationalize it, it discourages a
newcomer to participate on the group. This beats the purpose of having a
community of shared interests. We dont have many freshers asking much
(anything), it means only two things: either they know (or believe that know)
everything already or they have reservation about how it will be taken by the
group? True that most of things are answered somewhere which can be easily
searched by google, but thats not how learning happens. Most of it is just
recreation.

Second, our workshops are usually a spoken affair and it brings instant
gratification to both speakers and those who attends it. Written form is more
permanent and long-lasting. Many mistakes are easily avoided when one asks or
answers a question in writing. More importantly, anything written is of greater
value and it serves wider public. Workshops are good social events and they must
be organized but they can hardly replace written documents. Not everyone
remembers what one hears. Personally, I'd rather spend my time answering in
writing on an "open" forum and participating in a workshop where proceedings are
not transcribed.

Also the question asked before the workshops can be of great value to the one
who are conducting the workshops. It can help him organize his material. If
anything, those who shows "apparent urgency to get their doubts clarified"
before the workshop on a medium which is meant for urgent clarification deserves
a small token to thankfulness.

--
Dilawar
On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 03:34:37PM +0530, Nivvedan (?????????????????????) wrote:
>Correct me if I'm wrong Guna, but I think what Guna was trying to say
>was that when a session is being organized to tackle these exact doubts,
>there is no need for the apparent urgency to get these doubts clarified
>just hours before the session.
>The doubts are genuine I'm sure - but would have been more appropriate
>if one couldn't attend the session or if it is pertaining to something
>that is not covered in the session.
>
>> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.
>> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options,
>> visit
>> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> The website for the club is
>> http://wncc-iitb.org/
>> email to
>> wncc...@googlegroups.com
>> ---
>> You received this message
>> because you are subscribed to
>> the Google Groups "Web and
>> Coding Club IIT Bombay" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group
>> and stop receiving emails from
>> it, send an email to wncc_iitb
>> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit
>> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> The website for the club is
>> http://wncc-iitb.org/
>> are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Web and Coding Club IIT Bombay"
>> group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and
>> stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to wncc_iitb
>> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.
>> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ranveer Aggarwal

Jan 27, 2014, 7:50:48 AM1/27/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Yesterday's session was quite successful with many UEFI dual boots (We had an accuracy of 100%), but since the process is quite time taking, we couldn't do it for everyone. We'll be continuing post dinner tonight (around 9 I guess). All those who couldn't get their installations done yesterday can come today with their systems.
Also, all those who are facing issues after installation can also join.
Many of you must be facing an issue in formatting your bootable pen drives. Worry not. Bring them to us. We'll format them for you.

Ranveer Aggarwal
Convener

Pratyush Nalam

Jan 27, 2014, 10:14:26 AM1/27/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ranveer

Could you put the instructions for UEFI dual boots on this thread? Some of my friends were asking.

Thanks,

Shantanu Thakoor

Jan 28, 2014, 6:39:33 AM1/28/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

Hey, you guys helped me install Ubuntu last night in the NSL. Lan was working there correctly, but now I'm not able to connect to anything. It can't even connect to my phones hotspot.
How should I fix this?
Thanks :)

ROHIT ROSHAN

Jan 28, 2014, 10:43:14 AM1/28/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
will the ubuntu installation session continue on wednesday?
Rohit Roshan Gogoi
1st year, Mechanical Engineering
IIT Bombay

Sushant Hiray

Jan 29, 2014, 4:12:28 AM1/29/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Please note that the help session is being conducted for 4 days and to
avoid over crowding in the venue, we request you to come according to the
following slots :

Hostel 15 (Floors 1 - 3) : 29th Jan 2014
Hostel 15 (Floors 4 - 7) : 30th Jan 2014
Hostel 15 (Floors 8 -10) : 31st Jan 2014
Others : 1st Feb 2014

In case of non-availability during your slot, you can come in others as
well, however it is discouraged. We also recommend you to bring a pendrive,
if possible (of size > 2GB).

Sushant Hiray,
Manager, Web & Coding Club,
IIT Bombay

Shoven Mehta

Feb 1, 2014, 10:58:58 AM2/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I installed ubuntu 12.10 but the system boots in ubuntu only when the usb drive is plugged, asking me to install each time. Otherwise, it boots into windows.
What should I do?

Dilawar Singh

Feb 1, 2014, 1:50:09 PM2/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
html-markdown-alternative.html

Diptesh Kanojia

Feb 2, 2014, 4:36:20 AM2/2/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
No, probably the system BIOS is configured to boot from USB if it is plugged in. Change the boot order from BIOS.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Dilawar Singh <dilawar....@gmail.com> wrote:

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

I installed ubuntu 12.10 but the system boots in ubuntu only when the usb drive is plugged, asking me to install each time. Otherwise, it boots into windows. What should I do?

Hmm. Most likely that grub was installed in pen-drive. Try the following steps.

  • Boot with your pendrive and check if basic installation is on hardisk. You can check it by clicking on the hardisk icon and see that at least one partition has /bin /usr /opt etc..

  • check the output of sudo fdisk -l. It looks like following

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * 2048 1026047 512000 83 Linux /dev/sda2 1026048 976773119 487873536 8e Linux LVM

    /dev/sdb1 * 2048 54697983 27347968 83 Linux /dev/sdb2 54697984 229384191 87343104 83 Linux /dev/sdb3 229384192 1460373503 615494656 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT /dev/sdb4 1460373504 1953458175 246542336 83 Linux

Usually the first hard-disk is detected as /dev/sdaX where X is an integer. Make sure that this is your primary hard-disk

  • Now install the grub

    $ sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda

Mind the following options too. I have no experience with these options but they are relevant for this thread.

--uefi-secure-boot install an image usable with UEFI Secure Boot. This option is only available on EFI and if the grub-efi-amd64-signed package is installed. --no-uefi-secure-boot do not install an image usable with UEFI Secure Boot, even if the system was currently started using it. This option is only available on EFI.

  • Dilawar

--
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Ranveer Aggarwal

Feb 10, 2014, 11:47:26 AM2/10/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Here are the complete instructions for dual-booting (almost) any Windows 8/8.1 UEFI system with Ubuntu (12.04.01+).

Sorry for the delay.
--
Regards,
Ranveer Aggarwal