New term , new plans , new heights to conquer

Anil

Apr 1, 2012, 4:38:28 AM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
The main points that I plan to work on during my tenure ::

Bring more seniors to actively participate in club activities without compromising
on freshie participation . Give to trust to coding for open source softwares .

Instilling a hacking culture in the institute
This would be done by having hackathons more frequently (at least 2 per
semester). There would be brief session on how to get started with app development
and good development principles like using git , etc .

Bug Squashing party
People would join in to squash bugs in various open source software . This would
go a long way in helping people get involved in such activities and also help in
admission to programs like Google Summer of Code

Coding Contests
Timely notifications about various coding contests like from topcoder and codechef .
Arrangements made so people could join in at NSL to take part together . Also
Codechef charter would be setup so as to ease the process of hosting institute level
coding contests.

Workshops
Workshops at medium and higher level would be made more development oriented .
Rather than being taught about the language, a sample app would be developed
during the course of workshop hence making it more enjoyable.

Conferences
Conferences are a nice place to get to know more about software . Trip to PyCon
(other conferences if many people interested) would be planned and members notified
about the same .

Wiki Articles
Articles on how to get started learning a new language / software would be added .

Coder Network
Compilation of skill set of people in the institute by maintaining a separate portal so
that others interested in learning the same could get in touch with them.

If you have any suggestions feel free to let know . Will try my best at implementing the
same .

Regards,
Anil Shanbhag
WnCC Manager

Siddharth Maheshwari

Apr 1, 2012, 9:02:44 AM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Ideas :)
All the best!

--
The website for the club is http://stab-iitb.org/wncc

parthe pandit

Apr 1, 2012, 9:57:17 AM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
All the best
looking forward to all the activities
--
Parthe Pandit
Second Year Undergraduate

Saif Hasan

Apr 1, 2012, 11:37:10 AM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Awesome ideas, our Coding Culture in Institute was lacking these things. Hopefully these new initiatives will lead to a great success

Best luck to Anil

Thanks
Saif Hasan | Junior Undergraduate | Computer Science & Engineering | IIT Bombay | DAMP Coordinator

Chiraag Juvekar

Apr 1, 2012, 1:22:43 PM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
On the FOSS note I have this suggestion:
The WnCC 100 Bug Challenge
Try to squash 100 bugs over a span of a year across various open source software. Probably maintain a leader board and some sort of list of who squashed these 100 bugs and how.
Chiraag

You can't have everything in life,
In particular, the list of all lists that do not contain themselves.

Saket Choudhary

Apr 1, 2012, 1:39:29 PM4/1/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
^ Awesome !
That reminds me Launchpad has an API !
Mash it up probably ?

anirudh vemula

Apr 2, 2012, 4:26:50 AM4/2/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
awesome ideas!!

Jaison

Apr 2, 2012, 12:05:10 PM4/2/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Suggestion:
Can you please start 'Puzzle of the week' series? THey were very interesting and useful for placements. You can have a look at the past emails for an idea of puzzles of the week series

Mayank Singhal

Apr 2, 2012, 1:03:22 PM4/2/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
You can just start it yourself. Got an interesting question? Post it here.

Also, please note that for interview purposes puzzles are now discouraged in most companies for they are not considered a good judge of knowledge, skill and intellect. Also algorithm questions are not the same as puzzles. Do puzzles because you love doing them, not in hopes that it will be useful in placements.

Mayank Singhal
5th Year Dual Degree Student
Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Bombay

Saif Hasan

Apr 2, 2012, 1:16:04 PM4/2/12
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
We will try to post whenever we get some interesting ones :)

It will be best if everybody can post interesting puzzles they encounter :)