Regarding Ubuntu 14.04 LTS i.e. Trusty Tahr installation, up-gradation and general discussions

CR2

Apr 16, 2014, 2:46:01 PM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com

With just few hours left for release of Ubuntu Trusty Tahr i.e. 14.04 LTS version,
lets start this discussion in parallel for installation or up-gradation of the existing Ubuntu OS.
Lets also discuss what are the new features that got developed from 12.04 till now.

Thank you.

CR.

Manish Goregaokar

Apr 16, 2014, 5:52:41 PM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Upgradation? sudo do-release-upgrade (not to be confused with apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade)

Installation? Same process as usual, with the pen drives and all  :)

I'll wait for Pritam to comment on the new features. I only played with it for a day or two before blowing away the partition (needed the space for a build)

-Manish

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM, CR2 <rajhans...@gmail.com> wrote:
ase of Ubuntu Trusty Tahr i.e. 14.04 LTS version,
lets start this discussion in parallel for installation or up-gradation of the existing Ubuntu OS.
Lets also discuss what are the new features that got developed from 12.04 till now.

Thank you.

CR.

-Manish Goregaokar

Pritam Baral

Apr 16, 2014, 7:53:18 PM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
New features?

14.04 is an LTS, thus focuses on improvements, hardening and refinements.

I haven't touched it at all. From a cursory look at this article, I can list my favourite changes.

1) Menubars in windows. default: off;
2) Keyboard filtering in Unity spread (KDE has had it for quite some time);
3) File manager search behaviour. That pesky recursive-search-as-you-type is gone. Phew!;
4) HiDPI support, (e.g., retina Macbooks);
5) nvidia-prime, official support of nvidia's switchable graphics. If your hardware has the said nightmare, I strongly recommend you look into this.

  Oh, and
6) The lock screen looks like the login screen now.

As with every release; this one brings access to newer versions of all packages, performance improvements, and wisp of freshness. Also, as they say, this is the "bugfix" to 13.10.

If you're running any older version of Ubuntu, I recommend you upgrade to 14.04.

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Manish Goregaokar

Apr 16, 2014, 8:41:48 PM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know about how the speed is as compared with 13? My 13 is rather slow, I was considering downgrading to 12, but if 14 isn't slower I'd prefer an upgrade. (I can then tweak it out and remove the unnecessary stuff)

Or... I'll just switch to LXDE :P

-Manish Goregaokar

Diptesh Kanojia

Apr 16, 2014, 6:03:13 PM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
safe to get it so soon ? just contemplating!

safe as in, would you want to replace a stable version of your Ubuntu with a not so beta-tested version ? I have had a few problems with 13.xx . Not doing it now.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Manish Goregaokar <manis...@gmail.com> wrote:

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

IIT Bombay.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Chinmay Rajhans

Apr 17, 2014, 3:57:15 AM4/17/14
to wncc_iitb

Few more q.

I have been using Ubuntu 32 bit edition.
Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without new installation i.e. just by using up-grade option/

It is said that, if you have low RAM then use 32 bit and higher RAM then use 64 bit OS.
How come OS performance is dependent so much on RAM size/
If 32 bit works well with lower RAM, is it not going to be better for higher RAM as well.

Next q is,
I recently came to know about PAE, i.e. Physical Address Extension.
With this, if you install 32 bit Ubuntu, then it uses higher RAM using this technique. I need more info. on this.
Does this really work/ If so, we can directly install 32 bit OS. Why go for 64 bit/

Request experts to comment on this.

Thank you.

CR.

On 17 April 2014 11:20, Chinmay Rajhans <rajhans...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 till now. Believe me, there was not a single major problem with the OS.
Rarely any crashes. Generally it is known that LTS are very stable.

I really feel bad for those who keep upgrading it every 6 months and then things fail to work.
Non-LTS versions are known to or design to fail.

As per my info., inside LTS, only those who software and their versions are retained which have performed the best with least  bugs.

Btw, I suggest WnCC to plan installation or up-gradation drive inside IITB, just after end sem, say on 1st to 3rd of May on 3 days or so.

One more q, standard one , 32 bit or 64 bit/

TY. CR.

Chinmay Rajhans

Dibyendu Mondal

Apr 17, 2014, 4:40:59 AM4/17/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Those who have 32 bit windows upgrading to 14.04 will not be a problem (thanks to wubi we installed ubuntu as an application in windows) but those with 64 bit version it might cause a problem as after upgrading your grub menu may disappear and you might think that your windows is history. Also after doing a boot repair through ubuntu also sometimes windows might not be recognized. So i suggest backup your files in ubuntu and install 14.04 overwriting older version of ubuntu.

 -Dibyendu

Dilawar Singh

Apr 17, 2014, 4:53:17 AM4/17/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
>I have been using Ubuntu 32 bit edition.
>Is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without new installation
>i.e. just by using up-grade option/

Automatically using do-release-upgrade? No.

>How come OS performance is dependent so much on RAM size/
>If 32 bit works well with lower RAM, is it not going to be better for
>higher RAM as well.

Its less about OS performance than about how much of RAM you can access using 32
bit addressing scheme. You can have at most 2^32 addresses with 32 bit scheme.
You need more bits to access any location in "large RAM".

>I recently came to know about PAE, i.e. Physical Address Extension.
>With this, if you install 32 bit Ubuntu, then it uses higher RAM using this
>technique. I need more info. on this.
>Does this really work/ If so, we can directly install 32 bit OS. Why go for
>64 bit/

PAE is an strategy to overcome address shortage when using 32 bit on a "large
RAM". With 32 bit scheme, you can address approx 4GB RAM. Now if you have 64 GB
RAM, you really don't need 64 bits for it; 4 more additional bits (2^4 = factor
of 16) are enough. Therefore you get PAE (32 bits + 4 bits). This can work on
upto 64 bits RAM.

>Request experts to comment on this.
Experts usually write in peer-reviewed journals.

Dilawar

Dilawar Singh

Apr 17, 2014, 4:55:20 AM4/17/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
>I really feel bad for those who keep upgrading it every 6 months and then
>things fail to work.

Thats how some people report bugs and helps improving the LTSs.

>Non-LTS versions are known to or design to fail.
Yup. You don't install them on servers or shared computers.

Dilawar

Pritam Baral

Apr 17, 2014, 5:01:48 AM4/17/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
@Diptesh, LTS releases are built for stability. As I said, 14.04 is the "bugfix" to 13.10; in a loose way, it can be said that 13.10 was the beta-test of 14.04. I have personally noticed this to be the case with 12.04, and while I haven't played with 13.10->14.04, I'm sure this is the case here too.

@Chinmay. Saying non-LTS are "design to fail" is stretching it. Nobody designs software with the express purpose of failing. (No, I don't mean you, NSA, go back to your shenanigans.)

non-LTS releases have comparatively more features simply because software must advance. If we took to stability and nothing else, we'd still be using UNIX v5. New features means new code. New code means unseen, potential bugs.

LTSes simply hold off on new features, but get fixes backported and maintained.

Parallels can be drawn to the Windows family:
  XP was non-LTS. XP SP2 was LTS (reeally long term, I must say)
  Vista -> 7
  8 -> 8.1

32 vs 64 bit. Sigh. Loads of text is available on this topic. I won't contribute to it here.
If you can afford it, move to 64-bit. 32-bit (x86) is (arguably) deprecated. There will come a time when 32-bit will have to be dropped.

You cannot "upgrade" (read: move) from 32-bit to 64-bit via apt-get. You can, however, install the same packages on a freshly installed 64-bit system. Apart from the list of installed packages, don't forget to backup-restore configs (/etc, your home directory).

Regards,
Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Chinmay Rajhans

Apr 17, 2014, 12:11:29 PM4/17/14
to wncc_iitb

Finally Ubuntu 14.04 is released.

Btw they have not yet updated the home page, so you won't find the link there.

Kindly download any of 32 bit
or 64 bit

Since images are more than 700MB, you cannot use CDs now. You need to use DVD or USB drives.
Since home page is not updated, so most of the users in the world will still wait till it is updated.

Thank you.

CR.

Diptesh Kanojia

Apr 17, 2014, 1:12:55 PM4/17/14