Symbolic Computation

Priyatham

Apr 13, 2014, 5:38:50 PM4/13/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please suggest some books for practical symbolic computation?

Thanks in advance,

Saket Choudhary

Apr 14, 2014, 3:51:48 AM4/14/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
On 14 April 2014 03:08, Priyatham <kmspri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone please suggest some books for practical symbolic computation?

You mean a tool/tutorial?. Have a look at Sage:
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/calculus/sage/calculus/calculus.html

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> --
> The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Priyatham

Apr 14, 2014, 8:25:01 PM4/14/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I actually meant references for how I build one instead of using something pre-existing.

Sourabh Bhat

Apr 15, 2014, 1:16:31 AM4/15/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would suggest you to use Maple or Mathematica for symbolic calculations. Or if you are in linux, then you can use a free software called wxmaxima.

These tools are very easy to use, you do not need any book to learn these software, just go through basic tutorials in help of the software, and try hands on the software.

Regards,
Sourabh
--
Best Regards,
-- Sourabh

Saket Choudhary

Apr 15, 2014, 5:43:02 AM4/15/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
On 15 April 2014 05:55, Priyatham <kmspri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, but I actually meant references for how I build one instead of using
> something pre-existing.

I see. If you are comfortable using python, the sage's source code doc
can help. For example, see:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/master/src/sage/symbolic/expression_conversions.py

Harsh Gupta

Apr 15, 2014, 5:58:13 AM4/15/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
I have not read it myself but this book might help.

Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

I saw you trying to patch things up in Sympy, the python library for
symbolic computation.
You might try to ask this question on their mailing list too.
Harsh

Priyatham

Apr 16, 2014, 1:32:32 AM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the book. But I think it will be tough time to try to do it in haskell with the book. It will be nice if the book is at least language neutral like CLRS.

Dilawar Singh

Apr 16, 2014, 4:47:32 AM4/16/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Haskell is definitely hard to learn. But something should be available in
Scheme/Lisp which is easier to learn (at least the syntax).

Basically you need to build a small Computer Algebra System (CAS) to do symbolic
computation. Any undergraduate book on CAS is a good starting point as far as
basic theory is concerned. Required theories can be learned on the job. First
chapter should give you more than enough to keep you busy for months.

The very first thing -- when implementing -- is to represent generic
mathematical symbols using numbers. Implement a class `Symbol` and do the next
obvious operation on them. C++ library GiNaC can help a great deal here.

http://www.ginac.de/reference/classGiNaC_1_1symbol.html

Just use the Symbol class, derive your classes from it and try to do some
polynomial stuff.

Dilawar