Introduction to GSoC 2014 | 2nd March | 5:30 pm Onwards

Sushant

Mar 1, 2014, 2:50:18 PM3/1/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Web and Coding Club is organizing an introductory talk on How to get into Google Summer of Code 2k14.
Rather than being just a talk we will try to demonstrate on how to go about choosing an organization and interacting with the community.

GSoC  is a program in which you get to work on a project for another existing open-source project.You might get a chance to work on improving some part of Mozilla Firefox or even your favorite python libraries! GSoC is organised and sponsored by Google.Students from all over the world can apply for contributing in open source projects in GSOC. Students in turn get cash reward of 5000 USD , a participating certificate from Google and an awesome tshirt.

Since many students apply worldwide, almost from 100 countries, its not that easy to get through into GSOC. Lets hear some ideas and insider details from Aman Mangal. He participated in GSoC last year!
This talk will be very beneficial to all those who are planning to apply for GSOC-2k14 as well as all those who are planning to apply in upcoming years. Also even if you're not particularly interested in GSoC but rather wish to contribute to open source. This session might help you with a start.

To know more about GSoC check these links: https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/
The Mentoring Organisations this year are : http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2014
This is an interesting Blog on GSoC http://vaidikkapoor.info/blog/google-summer-of-code.html

Details of this talk are as below
Venue: Seminar Hall, Old CSE Building, Ground Floor
Date: 2nd March 2014
Day: Sunday
Time: 5:30pm onwards
Speaker: Aman Mangal

Warm Regards,
Sushant Hiray

Sushant Hiray

Mar 2, 2014, 4:17:54 AM3/2/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

We received few requests to shift the session, owing to India-Pakistan Match and an ongoing Quora Meetup.
So to benefit everyone we've decided to shift the session to tomorrow night from 9:00 pm onwards.
The revised details are as follows:

Date: 3rd Feb 2014
Day: Monday
Time: 9:00 pm onwards.

Regards,
Sushant Hiray,
Manager, Web & Coding Club,
IIT Bombay

The website for the club is http://wncc-iitb.org/

Sushant Hiray

Mar 2, 2014, 4:18:46 AM3/2/14
to wncc...@googlegroups.com
Correction:
Date: 3rd March 2014
Day: Monday
Time: 9:00 pm onwards.

Sushant Hiray,
Manager, Web & Coding Club,
IIT Bombay

aman mangal

Mar 8, 2014, 10:21:03 AM3/8/14
to wncc iitb
I am told that some groups of people could not attend the GSoC Session. I can take another session some time soon if there are enough number of people interested to attend. I can help students out individually in choosing a community or writing proposal or anything related to GSoC or just do the presentation again depending upon the audience. WnCC co-ordinators can look into it and figure a proper time convenient to everyone.

Aman Mangal
4th year Undergraduate Student
IIT Bombay
www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~amanmangal