Security Bars on Basement...Or NOT?

jw

Sep 27, 2021, 8:41:32 AMSep 27
to WNA
Neighbors,

As part of discussions regarding the rental of my English Basement, a realtor friend suggested that I remove the current security bars there.

Are you aware of any break-in attempts or completions in recent years on a basement without bars?  If so, what happened?

Thx & happy fall!

Jeffrey Willis

jw

Sep 29, 2021, 10:26:37 AMSep 29
to WNA
Neighbors,

Following up on my inquiry & reporting results from your many replies.  Much appreciated.

Findings:

One neighbor noted that a DC inspector required that bars be openable from inside without a key.  I could not find any such reg & inspector did not require of my place several years ago.  Please provide reg if you have it.

My observation finds that on most blocks nearby, basements have security bars.  Most renovated homes, esp. on the 900 block of T, do NOT have bars.

DC Crime Map (attached) shows no break-ins in our immediate area, but 2 neighbors said otherwise.  The Map also shows few thefts from cars, confirming that MPD records are seriously underreporting.

Thx, for any additional thoughts.

Jeffrey

Property Crimes Near U & VT.PNG