Attempted robbery on 9 1/2 St.

Nicholas Scinta

Oct 14, 2021, 1:02:25 PMOct 14
to 9-and-a-h...@googlegroups.com, wnag...@googlegroups.com

Last night, at approximately 9:45 pm, an individual attempted to break into at least three houses on 9 1/2 St. NW. The attached video (link below) is one of several 2+ minute clips of the suspect, who spent 10 minutes trying to force entry through my front door and window. A photo of the suspect is also attached.

A very professional and courteous MPD officer responded, but after taking our statements, reviewing the videos, and calling for detectives, she was told by her superiors that this incident did not meet the criteria for “attempted robbery” and did not warrant any further investigation because the suspect did not actually gain entry to the houses. They would not take finger prints, and they will take no further action to find the suspect or prevent repeat offenses. Instead they will classify this incident as “destruction of property” because the door frame and lock were damaged by the suspect’s tools and brute force. I find this alarming (though not entirely surprising), and would welcome any recommendations for follow up actions from neighbors who have experience with this type of situation. At the very least, I’d like to make sure people are aware that this guy is in the area.

Thanks, and stay safe.

Nick
1905 9 1/2

Photo:

Benjamin L

Oct 14, 2021, 2:13:28 PMOct 14
to nicks...@gmail.com, 9-and-a-h...@googlegroups.com, WNA
Thanks for sharing with the wider community Nick.  We will also push to our MPD contacts to see if anything more can be done.

Vr

Benjamin

--
Note - If you hit 'Reply' w/o making any adjustments, your reply will go the author of that email only. To reply to all WNA Listserve members, either press "Reply to All" if your mail program has this option, or add "wnag...@googlegroups.com" to the list of recipients(you can copy this email address from the "To" line).
---

Geoffery Seaver

Oct 14, 2021, 3:59:56 PMOct 14
to bdl...@gmail.com, nicks...@gmail.com, 9-and-a-h...@googlegroups.com, WNA
The drug house at 1908 9th street is drawing people to the neighborhood who need money for drugs..  MPD stated that this issue with selling drugs is a DCRA problem

Mark Schamel

Oct 14, 2021, 5:16:29 PMOct 14
to Geoffery Seaver, Benjamin D. Loewy, nicks...@gmail.com, 9-and-a-h...@googlegroups.com, WNA
Geoffery
Do you have that from anyone in writing?  That is a ridiculous answer and I will go to both the US Attorney and Chief Contee if that is what they are saying.

Mark

--
Mark E. Schamel

Graf, Werner

Oct 14, 2021, 7:17:41 PMOct 14
to markes...@gmail.com, Geoffery Seaver, Nadeau, Brianne K. (Council), Benjamin D. Loewy, nicks...@gmail.com, 9-and-a-h...@googlegroups.com, WNA

What is going on here?

Someone shot at “The Ellington” (!301 U Steet). Both windows next to the entrance door are boarded up since then.

My friend’s neighbor (living on 13th and U) talked to a police officer regarding the motorcycle and ATV noisemakers. The officer reported that some of the ATV riders carry guns. One even was waving a gun at the police officers while driving by while “rearing” his vehicle. Nothing happened: no arrests, not even a ticket.

One other friend, who owns a Bar/Restaurant says that business is down markedly on week ends because of the noise makers. People do not want to sit at the outside patios because of the infernal noise that is constantly going on.

For myself: sometimes I sleep with noise cancelling earphones to bank out the havoc.

So, what is the conclusion? We are slipping into anarchy here! Can we do anything?

I’d like to hear some creative ideas form our representatives.

Werner

1013 S St., NW