A new task on code-mixed machine translation

Vivek Srivastava

May 17, 2022, 11:59:40 AM5/17/22
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com, Mayank Singh, srivasta...@tcs.com

Hi All,

We are organizing the WMT 2022 shared task on code-mixed machine translation (MixMT).

In this shared task, we are running two subtasks involving a code-mixed language i.e. Hinglish (code-mixing of Hindi and English). A brief description of both the subtasks is given below:

  • Monolingual to code-mixed machine translation (Subtask-1): In this subtask, Hindi and English are the two source languages and the target language is Hinglish. The source Hindi and English sentences are translations of each other. The Hindi language sentences are written in the Devanagari script whereas the target Hinglish language text is written in the Roman script.

  • Code-mixed to monolingual machine translation (Subtask-2): In this subtask, Hinglish is the source language and the target language is English. Both the English and Hinglish text are written in the Roman script.

More details about the competition are available on the competition website: https://codalab.lisn.upsaclay.fr/competitions/2861

The timeline is:

  • Apr 01, 2022: The training + validation phase starts.

  • Jun 30, 2022: The training + validation phase ends.

  • Jul 1, 2022: The test phase starts.

  • Jul 30, 2022: The test phase ends.

  • Sept 7, 2022: Paper submission deadline.

  • Oct 9, 2022: Notification/feedback.

  • Oct 16, 2022: Camera-ready submission.

We will be absolutely grateful if you can participate and pass this information to your colleagues.

Thanks,

Vivek