WMT23 Metrics Task: Call for Participation

Nitika Mathur

Jun 27, 2023, 4:22:35 PM6/27/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

The details of the WMT23 Metrics Task are up at

https://wmt-metrics-task.github.io/.  We are looking for both reference-based metrics and reference-free metrics to evaluate the quality of MT systems. We’ll be using expert-based MQM annotations on Chinese-English, English-German and Hebrew-English as the primary gold standard for evaluating metrics.

We’ll be continuing the challenge sets subtask this year: we invite anyone to submit a new test suite and/or an analysis paper on metric behaviour for specific perturbations/phenomena (you’re welcome to resubmit last year’s challenge set!)

New this year:

  • En-de will be at a paragraph level, not sentence level, and we encourage you to develop metrics that evaluate at this level

  • New language pair: Hebrew-English

  • We will be distinguishing between public and closed metrics; please release your code + weights or LLM prompts so the MT community can easily adopt your metrics

  • Improved meta evaluation methodology to facilitate better evaluation of metrics that predict many ties in segment scores https://arxiv.org/pdf/2305.14324.pdf

Important dates:

Challenge sets submission deadline: 20th July

Metrics inputs ready to download: 10th August

Metric submission deadline: 17th August

Metric scores for challenge sets distributed: 24th August

Paper submission deadline to WMT: 5th September

Please register your  metric submissions here and challenge set submissions here so we can keep track of participants.

Looking forward to your submissions,

Metrics 2023 team

Nitika Mathur

Aug 10, 2023, 7:46:19 PM8/10/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

Happy to announce that the metrics task inputs are now available! We have 14 language-pairs available in the generaltest2023 testset, as well as 3 additional challenge sets; for general purpose metrics, we expect participation in all language-pairs.

This year, we’ll be using the Codalab platform for submissions: https://codalab.lisn.upsaclay.fr/competitions/15074

Submission Deadline: 17th August, 2023, 11:59pm AoE (UTC-12)

Process:

  1. Register your metric here, if you haven’t already

  2. Create an account on Codalab.

    • You’re allowed one primary submission for a reference-based metric, and one primary submission for a reference-free metric. If you are submitting two metrics that have widely different approaches, for example, one LLM-based metric and one lexical metric, then create 2 accounts on Codalab.

  1. Download the data (link; link also available on Codalab)

  2. Prepare your scores:

    • Please follow the guidelines on submission format as described on the website

    • The metric inputs download includes sample metrics as well as helper scripts to prepare your scores.

  3. Submit your scores via Codalab:

    • When you submit your metric, Codalab might require some time to process your  submission. We’ve noticed processing times between a few minutes and two hours when testing. Codalab does keep track of the submission time, so don’t panic if your last minute submission wasn’t processed before the deadline! Please contact us if it has been longer than 3 hours.

    • After uploading your submission, check its status (under Submit / View Results). It will return an error if there’s an issue with submission, such as formatting issues

    • If your submission is successful, the Codalab leaderboard currently displays correlations with an automatic metric.

    • You can have a maximum of 10 submissions. Don’t try to optimise your metric to have a higher correlation on the leaderboard, as this won’t generally improve your correlation with human evaluation.

Finally, the current he-en reference is highly likely to have been created via post-editing MT instead of translating from scratch. The WMT organisers are sourcing a higher quality translation, and we will require rescoring metrics at some point in the future. We appreciate the additional effort that this will require from participants, and will keep you posted on this.

Please contact us if you see any issue or have any other questions.

Looking forward to your submissions,

Metrics 2023 team

Ananya Mukherjee

Aug 16, 2023, 6:35:36 AM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nitika,

I have two reference-based metrics, one being an unsupervised metric (MEE4) based on 'lexical and embedding similarity' and the other is a supervised metric. In this case, do I need to create two codalab accounts or can I mark both the metrics as primary?

Ananya Mukherjee

Aug 16, 2023, 1:01:43 PM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Facing the below issue while uploading new versions of an already uploaded metric....
"WARNING: Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities or the cgroup is not mounted. Memory limited without swap."

Please help me with this... I don't mind submitting my metric versions via mail.

Thanks in advance.
Ananya

Markus Freitag

Aug 16, 2023, 1:31:51 PM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com, George Foster
Hi Ananya,

Is your submission actually failing?

You can ignore the WARNiNG message. It’s a coda lab warning that happens with every submission.

Markus

Ananya Mukherjee

Aug 16, 2023, 2:06:25 PM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com
No its not failing.. I am just getting a pop-up... an unexpected error occurred...
When I click on the submit button (I have one successful submission already MEE4) to upload a variant of MEE4, then first I get a message.. "Creating new submission" and then I get a pop up "an unexpected error occurred".

image.png

Markus Freitag

Aug 16, 2023, 2:15:08 PM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com, George Foster

Frédéric BLAIN

Aug 16, 2023, 2:50:36 PM8/16/23
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com, George Foster
Hi George and all,
I looked into this error[1] and although there is no official explanation for it, a workaround is to leave team name, method name and method description blank in the submission form.

[1]: https://github.com/codalab/codalab-competitions/issues/3369

Best,
Fred.

Ananya Mukherjee

Aug 16, 2023, 3:48:52 PM8/16/23
to George Foster, Frédéric BLAIN, wmt-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Markus, George and Fred for helping me out.
The work around worked!! :)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 at 00:23, George Foster <fos...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Fred! +Ananya