FLORES 101 Large-scale Multilingual Translation Task @WMT 2021

Vishrav Chaudhary

Aug 9, 2021, 2:17:56 PM8/9/21
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com
[apologies for cross-posting]

Hi Everyone,

Gentle reminder that we are inching towards our final submission period, i.e. from August 9 till August 13.
All the participants must try to submit their final model for evaluation latest by August 13.
Note that you are *not* required to resubmit your model again, if you have already submitted the final version during the first submission period.

The evaluation scores for the hidden test will be revealed on Aug 15 along with the final ranking on
the dashboard for all the previously submitted models.

Please feel free to reach out to flo...@fb.com in case of any questions.

Best Regards,
Vishrav Chaudhary

(on behalf of the FLORES 101 Team flo...@fb.com)

Facebook AI Research
Menlo Park, CA

Baohao Liao

Aug 10, 2021, 6:35:38 PM8/10/21
to Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation
Hi Vishrav,

thank you for your work.

I'm a little confused for the final submission:
1) According to your words, there is no extra submission path. We should submit the model to the same dynalab as the first period. Do I understand correctly?
2) You said that "you are *not* required to resubmit your model again, if you have already submitted the final version during the first submission period." Will you automatically select the final submission for each account as the final submission? Or the one with the best performance?

Thank you in advance for your answering.

Baohao

Vishrav Chaudhary

Aug 10, 2021, 7:36:26 PM8/10/21
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com, flo...@fb.com

Hi Baohao,

>> 1) According to your words, there is no extra submission path. We should submit the model to the same dynalab as the first period. Do I understand correctly?
Yes the submission path and mechanism will remain the same.

>> 2) You said that "you are *not* required to resubmit your model again, if you have already submitted the final version during the first submission period." Will you automatically select the final submission for each account as the final submission? Or the one with the best performance?
We prefer you publish your result to let us know which model to be considered as the final submission.
In case you publish multiple results, we will select the one with the best performance.

Thanks,
Vishrav

Vishrav Chaudhary
Tech Lead / Lead Research Engineer (ML/NLP)
Facebook AI
Menlo Park, CA

Baohao Liao

Aug 10, 2021, 8:07:21 PM8/10/21
to Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation
Hi Vishrav,

thank you for your answer.

BTW, could you check the submissions for the full track? There are no successful submissions for the full track except for the baseline model, even though I submit multiple times. I also open an issue in the dynalab repository in github.

Baohao

Vishrav Chaudhary

Aug 11, 2021, 2:42:13 AM8/11/21
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Baohao,

>> BTW, could you check the submissions for the full track? There are no successful submissions for the full track except for the baseline model.
The participants need to publish their results in order for them to be visible on the leaderboard. I just checked the logs and I can see multiple successful submissions.

>> even though I submit multiple times. I also open an issue in the dynalab repository in github.
Sure, we will be more than happy to help you. Can you share the details (model ID) to flo...@fb.com directly (let's move the discussion there to avoid spamming the main wmt-tasks google group).

Thanks,
Vishrav

Vishrav Chaudhary

Aug 12, 2021, 7:36:16 PM8/12/21
to wmt-...@googlegroups.com

[apologies for cross-posting]

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience with the evaluation process. Submitting models is a new form of evaluation, and there have been a few aspects that needed our attention to make the process smoother. We've doing our best to answer your questions as fast as we can.

As we prepare to close the FLORES evaluation tomorrow (August 13th, anywhere on Earth), we wanted to clarify a few points:

1) How do you signal what model IS your submission model?

Using the test set (hidden) to choose the best performing model is an anti-pattern. We won't be doing this. You need to "publish" your final model to signal a submission to the task. At the moment, we're showing unpublished submissions in the dashboard as "Anonymous" models. But coming Monday (Aug 16th), we won't do that anymore.  So please ensure to publish your model beforehand.

2) You submitted your model before the deadline, but the result is not visible?

We're seeing a lot of last minute submissions to the full task. This has increased the load on the evaluation server significantly. As a result, computation of final scores is taking longer than expected.

We have implemented several changes to make the evaluation faster. However, we encourage you to submit only **ONCE**.

If you submit by Friday (Aug 13th, anywhere on Earth), it's possible that you won't be able to publish your model while it's being evaluated. The evaluation will still be running during the weekend. However, if this is your case, please fill in this form to let us know the model ID as your final submission (and a backup model ID, just in case the first one fails). We’ll take care of the rest.

3) What if your model fails evaluation between Aug 13 and Aug 16?

In a scenario in which your model failed evaluation, we'll allow you to choose another model (already evaluated) as the final submission. Unfortunately, if you don't have an alternative model, we won't be able to help you.

3) Only one submission per team.

There is a reason to have a maximum number of submissions per day: To avoid fine tuning on the test set. We have seen that there are teams with several accounts open. Just remember that only ONE submission per team is allowed.

We understand that there were some parameters that needed tuning to make the dynabench evaluation work. But please be mindful of the number of evaluations you submit (too many evaluations clog the queues and produces delays for everyone).

NOTE: Any models that are still ongoing evaluation and that haven't been claimed as primary or backup submissions will be deprioritized to make space for other primary/backup models’ evaluations.

4) What if there are models still waiting for evaluation on Monday?

Primary submissions are still waiting for evaluation on Monday (Aug 16th), we’ll hold publishing the results for the task. We don’t anticipate this being an issue for the small tasks.

Please feel free to reach out to flo...@fb.com in case of any questions.