migrating repositories and restructuring

Bart Trojanowski

Mar 28, 2009, 4:20:16 PM3/28/09
to wmii...@googlegroups.com
I've been meaning to do this for a while.

The first step was just to automate the conversion from suckless.org/hg
repositories and pushing them out to github. That part is done.

http://github.com/bartman/wmii/tree/master
http://github.com/bartman/libixp/tree/master

These repos will be updated hourly. I previously also mirrored slock
and dmenu, which I will no longer be doing. Next release of wmii-lua
will use wimenu which replaces dmenu in wmii. As for slock, if you use
it and care, let me know.

Next, I want to restructure the wmii-lua project. I will merge the
functionality of the "kitchen-sink" repo into wmii-lua.git. This means
that you will be able to build libixp and wmii from a wmii-lua clone by
running some 'make' command (if you so chose).

I am thinking of something like:

git clone git://github.com/bartman/wmii-lua.git
cd wmii-lua

./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr --home-prefix=.wmii-lua
# generating files

make ext
# cloning libixp in ./ext/libixp
# building libixp in ./ext/libixp
# cloning wmii in ./ext/wmii
# building wmii in ./ext/wmii
make install-ext
# installing ext

make
# build luaeventloop
# build luaixp
make install
# installing wmii-lua

Above, 'make ext' is equivalent to 'make libixp wmii'. The configure
script will be a short shell script that will generate a config.mk file.

But you could naturally build against an existing libixp, without
cloning anything else:

git clone git://github.com/bartman/wmii-lua.git
cd wmii-lua

./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr --home-prefix=.wmii-lua
# generating files

make
# build luaeventloop
# build luaixp
make install
# installing wmii-lua

Your thoughts are welcome.

-Bart

--
WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

Bart Trojanowski

Mar 28, 2009, 11:11:47 PM3/28/09
to wmii...@googlegroups.com
I've done just about everything except for cleaning up the docs.

The repo to start with is now located here:

http://github.com/bartman/wmii-lua

And the procedure to build it should be:

git clone git://github.com/bartman/wmii-lua.git
cd wmii-lua

make ext-update
make ext-install-user
make install-user

As before the 'install-user' can be replaced with 'install' to install
into /usr/local. The ext-* steps will clone and build libixp and wmii.
Naturally, this is optional.

So, I've done some testing, but I welcome more.