[Wikimediauk-l] anyone with super powers?

Jon Davies

Apr 3, 2012, 11:14:21 AM4/3/12
to wikimediauk-l
Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
into something editable - open office by preference.
:(

http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK. 07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Thehelpfulone

Apr 3, 2012, 3:10:35 PM4/3/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
It's not easy I'm afraid - I've run it through a couple of automatic converters, but the PDF format is horrible such that each individual letter is made up of more than one graph bit, where as a "proper" pdf would be each letter is only one graphic. Unless someone else has some elite super powers, it looks like it'll need a manual re-create if you can't find the original...

You could try  http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport  to see if that will import it - there's no harm in trying, and I imagine if that was made using OpenOffice you might have a bit more luck using that. I don't have OpenOffice so I haven't tried that.

THO
--
Thehelpfulone
English Wikipedia Administrator

Jon Davies

Apr 4, 2012, 2:50:49 AM4/4/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Thanks for trying - all my fault - accidentally erased two thirds of
the document :(

Quoting Thehelpfulone <thehelpf...@gmail.com>:

> It's not easy I'm afraid - I've run it through a couple of automatic
> converters, but the PDF format is horrible such that each individual letter
> is made up of more than one graph bit, where as a "proper" pdf would be
> each letter is only one graphic. Unless someone else has some elite super
> powers, it looks like it'll need a manual re-create if you can't find the
> original...
>
> You could try
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport to see if
> that will import it - there's no harm in trying, and I imagine if that was
> made using OpenOffice you might have a bit more luck using that. I don't
> have OpenOffice so I haven't tried that.
>
> THO
>
> On 3 April 2012 16:14, Jon Davies <jon.d...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
>> into something editable - open office by preference.
>> :(
>>

>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/**index.php?title=File:**
>> FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.**pdf&page=1<http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1>

>> --
>> Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK. 07976 935 986
>> tweet @jonatreesdavies
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
>> Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
>> Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
>> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
>> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
>> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit
>> organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for
>> its contents.
>>
>> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Christophe Henner

Apr 4, 2012, 4:43:49 AM4/4/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Hi Jon

Have you tried to use an OCR ?

You would be able to get back the content and put it back in a spreadsheet.

Best,

--
Christophe

James Farrar

Apr 4, 2012, 4:45:34 AM4/4/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Jon,

I have some decent OCR software at work - will try running it through that this afternoon/evening. Do you have a deadline?

Jon Davies

Apr 4, 2012, 4:47:40 AM4/4/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
No urgent deadline - about 16th of April in reality. Thanks.

>>> http://extensions.services.**openoffice.org/en/project/**pdfimport<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport> to see

>>> if
>>> that will import it - there's no harm in trying, and I imagine if that was
>>> made using OpenOffice you might have a bit more luck using that. I don't
>>> have OpenOffice so I haven't tried that.
>>>
>>> THO
>>>
>>> On 3 April 2012 16:14, Jon Davies <jon.d...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back

>>> --
>>> Thehelpfulone

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**User:Thehelpfulone<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone>

Gordon Joly

Apr 4, 2012, 4:54:21 AM4/4/12
On 03/04/12 16:14, Jon Davies wrote:
> Probably impossible but can anyone take this table and convert it back
> into something editable - open office by preference.
> :(
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:FiveYearPlanFirstdraft.odt-2.pdf&page=1
>

> --
This is PDF 1.3 format.

There are no text strings at all. OCR? Or just ask somebody to re-type
it. It will be quicker.

Gordo