[Wikimediauk-l] Poll: Should Wikimedia UK accept in-kind donations of kit?

1 view

Fae

Mar 27, 2012, 8:43:34 AM3/27/12
to WMUK-L
Here's a quick 24 hour poll on the issues surrounding WMUK accepting
kit from donors. <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> (the table
looks better if you click "Show all 7 options")

Comments on this thread welcome. The board will be discussing a
particular donation this evening, but we are more interested in the
general principle of how to accept donations in-kind without any
compromise on our values and how to ensure we run no future risk of
being compromised in the media by appearing to support any particular
"brand".

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Chris Keating

Mar 27, 2012, 9:05:09 AM3/27/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's a quick 24 hour poll on the issues surrounding WMUK accepting
kit from donors. <http://www.doodle.com/i2snavpc55dc95iv> (the table
looks better if you click "Show all 7 options")

Comments on this thread welcome. The board will be discussing a
particular donation this evening, but we are more interested in the
general principle of how to accept donations in-kind without any
compromise on our values and how to ensure we run no future risk of
being compromised in the media by appearing to support any particular
"brand".

Difficult to answer - I imagine (and hope) we would treat a request to endorse a press release about a donation of goods with a value of £100,000 differently to a donation worth £1,000. It would also depend rather on the reputation of the potential donor.

Chris

Thomas Morton

Mar 27, 2012, 9:07:40 AM3/27/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
It's hard to make a difinitive answer with no data; my personal view would vary drastically depending on various factors:

- Is the donation intended to publicity reasons
- What is being donated
- What sort of publicity is expected
- Are the organisation someone we would agree with

And more.

Tom

Gordon Joly

Mar 27, 2012, 10:25:01 AM3/27/12
On 27/03/2012 14:07, Thomas Morton wrote:
> - Are the organisation someone we would agree with

Yeah. Would we want Microsoft IIS with SharePoint on a blade?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
gordo...@pobox.com