[Wikimediauk-l] "Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is to become a U.K. government adviser on open government." - Slashdot

Gordon Joly

Mar 13, 2012, 6:09:25 AM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org

I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/03/13/0054206/jimmy-wales-to-become-uk-government-adviser

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
gordo...@pobox.com

Michael Peel

Mar 13, 2012, 6:26:15 AM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
The story has also been covered by various national and local newspapers, see:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports/2012/March#Miscellaneous

Thanks,
Mike

Gordon Joly

Mar 13, 2012, 6:35:03 AM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org

Thanks....

"Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html

Chief? Says who?

:-)

Gordo

Michael Peel

Mar 13, 2012, 7:02:04 AM3/13/12

On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:

> Thanks....
>
> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>
> Chief? Says who?

The Telegraph. ;-)

Mike

HJ Mitchell

Mar 13, 2012, 7:22:30 AM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Why let the facts get in the way of a snappy headline? ;)

Harry

Mar 13, 2012, 10:44:01 AM3/13/12
On 13/03/2012 12:15, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 13 March 2012 12:02, Michael Peel<michae...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 13 Mar 2012, at 10:35, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks....
>>>
>>> "Jimmy Wales: Wikipedia chief to advise Whitehall on policy"
>>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/9137339/Jimmy-Wales-Wikipedia-chief-to-advise-Whitehall-on-policy.html
>>>
>>> Chief? Says who?
>>
>> The Telegraph. ;-)
>
> Someone should probably give them a ring and suggest they change
> "chief" to "founder", since that's what he actually is... (well,
> "co-founder", really, but let's not go there!)

To be fair, if you look below the headline at the top, it all says
co-founder.

KTC

- Heinrich Heine

Anirudh Bhati

Mar 13, 2012, 10:43:59 AM3/13/12
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly <gordo...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

What next? Knighthood. Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

David Gerard

Mar 13, 2012, 10:47:02 AM3/13/12
On 13 March 2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati <aniru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

Not a British citizen, would have to be Mr Jimmy Donal Wales, KBE (or
whatever), like Bob Geldof and Bill Gates.

- d.

HJ Mitchell

Mar 13, 2012, 10:48:57 AM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
But that doesn't mean we can't make light of the headline! ;)

Btw, I'm pretty sure on has to a British citizen (or possibly even born within the Commonwealth) to be knighted.

Harry

Mar 13, 2012, 11:48:20 AM3/13/12
to HJ Mitchell, wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
There are some foreign knighthoods I think. But they are limited by number even more than the British one.

Tom Morton

Anthony (AGK)

Mar 13, 2012, 12:00:44 PM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Precisely, and there is extensive precedent (including in court decisions relating to allegedly inaccurate headlines) for article titles to be generalising if the reality is explained in the body. If we wrote to them, there probably wouldn't be a correction.

--
Anthony (AGK)
Sent from my iPhone

Neil Babbage

Mar 13, 2012, 2:20:29 PM3/13/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Officially allowed or not it doesn't stop the media calling Bob Geldof "Sir Bob". "Sir Jimbo" has quite a nice ring to it so you can guarantee the press would use it.

Neil / QuiteUnusual@Wikibooks

Gordon Joly

Mar 14, 2012, 4:12:58 AM3/14/12
On 13/03/2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly<gordo...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?
>> >
> What next? Knighthood. Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

He might start to advise a much higher authority. But at that point, he
might be advising himself....

:-)

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
gordo...@pobox.com
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Charles Matthews

Mar 14, 2012, 12:42:44 PM3/14/12
On 14 March 2012 08:12, Gordon Joly <gordo...@pobox.com> wrote:
On 13/03/2012 14:43, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Gordon Joly<gordo...@pobox.com>  wrote:

>  I remember when he was advising the BBC. What next?

What next?  Knighthood.  Sir Jimmy Donal "Jimbo" Wales.

He might start to advise a much higher authority. But at that point, he might be advising himself....

I know, a highly original TV series: "Jimbo will (tell you to so) fixit".

Charles