[Wikimediauk-l] Livetweeting the Battle of Arras (1917)

Chris Keating

Mar 29, 2012, 12:49:56 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Just a note for the World War I buffs amongst you - there's quite an interesting plan by Oxford University to crowdsource a livetweet of the Battle of Arras. More info here:  http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/?p=253

I'm planning to take part and other Wikimedians would be very welcome.

You might notice that the organisers have taken a licensing approach of putting the eventual resource they are creating from this initiative under CC-BY-NC, but nevertheless encouraging participants to digitise their own materials and put them on Commons. So that's 50% right ;-)

Chris

HJ Mitchell

Mar 29, 2012, 1:09:52 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
I think we should make a real effort to explain the pros and cons of the various CC licenses and what they actually mean for copyright holders and re-users. I think many choices of licenses like NC are born out of a lack of understanding, and people might be more receptive to CC-By-SA if they understood it better.

I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.

Harry

Mar 29, 2012, 1:33:12 PM3/29/12
to HJ Mitchell, wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Oh, don't worry, we do!  And we're not alone - many of the digital staff working in various institutions are very open to this, as are some funders of them (e.g. Europeana)

Of course the best possible sell is showing what could be done with material once it was released... :)

Michael Peel

Apr 2, 2012, 6:11:19 PM4/2/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes discussions here?

Thanks,
Mike

Chris Keating

Apr 3, 2012, 3:00:04 AM4/3/12
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Michael Peel <michae...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
Nice. :-) Was this spontaneous on their part, or was there behind-the-scenes discussions here?

Actually it's a sign of the way things are going! There are lots of people in "digital engagement" jobs who are themselves quite signed up to the idea of open knowledge, aided by bodies like JISC and Europeana which insist on / encourage various levels of openness.

So often I think we end up talking to people whose institutions are cautious about losing the NC bit of CC-BY-NC, and we can help them win their internal arguments within those institutions by proving that if they release material on CC-BY-SA there will be high-impact uses of it...

Chris