[Wikimediauk-l] List archives

1 view

Thomas Dalton

Mar 29, 2012, 8:29:58 AM3/29/12
to wikimediauk-l

I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?

David Gerard

Mar 29, 2012, 8:32:37 AM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org

Shouldn't be, I'd have thought.

The only reason I can think of is that few months ago we had a
confidential message accidentally sent to the list - but if that's
been removed from the archive (which requires someone with server
access actually removing it, listadmins can't) then opening it up
would be fine.

- d.

Fae

Mar 29, 2012, 8:38:46 AM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

Thanks,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

David Gerard

Mar 29, 2012, 8:41:06 AM3/29/12
On 29 March 2012 13:38, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is deliberate. Unless someone else puts an explanation up I can
> post something about this next week when I'm not traveling.

That'd be good :-) It does break convention that public Wikimedia
lists have public archives.

- d.

HJ Mitchell

Mar 29, 2012, 12:23:39 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
I actually quite like this way - I think it's more conducive to frank exchange of views, a lot of people here connect their usernames to their real names, and anybody who's really interested in WMUK can subscribe.

Of course, it means we should try to avoid discussions that should be had on Wikipedia, lest we appear like a cabal (the Eastern European Mailing List comes to mind...).

Harry

Mar 29, 2012, 12:46:54 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Oh, did we forget to induct you ? ;)

Where does that email address go, anyway?

Harry

Mar 29, 2012, 12:53:24 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org

Please, stop this conversation before you get us all in trouble. You remember what happened last time, don't you? I couldn't sit down for a week...

Chris Keating

Mar 29, 2012, 12:55:27 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Fortunately my mind seems to have been completely wiped of that memory ;-)

Gordon Joly

Mar 29, 2012, 4:43:07 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
There are (public) clones of the archives....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
gordo...@pobox.com

Thomas Dalton

Mar 29, 2012, 4:59:15 PM3/29/12
On 29 March 2012 21:43, Gordon Joly <gordo...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 29/03/2012 13:29, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>
>> I've just noticed the list archives for this list (accessible via the link
>> in the footer) are restricted to subscribers only (although there is no
>> restriction on who can subscribe). Is that intentional and, if so, why?
>
> There are (public) clones of the archives....

And it takes all of a few seconds to subscribe and get access to the
official ones. That's why I'm struggling to see the point of having
them restricted.

Thehelpfulone

Mar 29, 2012, 8:04:17 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
So just to confirm, if I sign up to this mailing list and click the confirmation email link, I'm subscribed? There's no moderation by a list admin or anything like that? If that's the case, then I agree that there's no point having a private list archive.
--
Thehelpfulone
English Wikipedia Administrator

Thomas Dalton

Mar 29, 2012, 8:17:36 PM3/29/12
On 30 March 2012 01:04, Thehelpfulone <thehelpf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So just to confirm, if I sign up to this mailing list and click the
> confirmation email link, I'm subscribed? There's no moderation by a list
> admin or anything like that? If that's the case, then I agree that there's
> no point having a private list archive.

I believe so. That's certainly how it used to be.

HJ Mitchell

Mar 29, 2012, 8:33:34 PM3/29/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval was more-or-less automatic...

Harry

Mar 29, 2012, 8:37:51 PM3/29/12
On 30 March 2012 01:33, HJ Mitchell <hjmit...@ymail.com> wrote:
> I thought you had to wait for approval by a list admin, but that approval
> was more-or-less automatic...

I just subscribed a new email address and I was able to read the
archives immediately.

Richard Symonds

Mar 30, 2012, 6:32:21 AM3/30/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
I think Mike can answer a few of these questions, but he's extremely
busy over the weekend with conferences etc.