[Wikimediauk-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board Resolutions from March 30th 2012

1 view

Chris Keating

Mar 30, 2012, 5:50:04 PM3/30/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Those of you not on Foundation-l might be interested to see this post from Ting, the chair of the Foundation board, which has some important implications for the development of Wikimedia UK in future.

Regards,

Chris

Mar 31, 2012, 4:26:45 PM3/31/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Could somebody concisely explain what this certainly means for WMUK, and what it might mean in the worst- and best-case scenarios? I understand the issues, and I'm sure the nuances are still being worked out, but I can't be the only person wondering.

Harry

Mar 31, 2012, 4:53:49 PM3/31/12
to HJ Mitchell, wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
On 31 March 2012 21:26, HJ Mitchell <hjmit...@ymail.com> wrote:
> Could somebody concisely explain what this certainly means for WMUK, and
> what it might mean in the worst- and best-case scenarios? I understand the
> issues, and I'm sure the nuances are still being worked out, but I can't be
> the only person wondering.

While I'm no longer closely involved in WMUK, I have been very
involved with the discussions that led up to this resolution, so I'll
have a go at explaining it.

It means that, in the 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16
fundraisers, WMUK will be allowed to place banners on the WMF websites
as long as it can convince Sue Gardner than it satisfies the following
criteria:

1) There is sufficient money raised in the geography to merit the
logistical effort.
2) The organization offers tax deductibility or other incentives to
local donors.
3) Regulatory issues about any international funds flows are fully resolved.
4) The organization's current financial resources are not enough to
fund proposed program work.
5) The Foundation can confidently assure donors to the chapter that
their donations will be safeguarded, that our movement's transparency
principles will be met, and that spending will be in line with our
mission and with the messages used to attract donors.

I don't think there can be any argument on points 1, 2 and 4.
(Although point 4 is a very strange one, given that we're supposed to
be moving any from any connection between where money is raised and
where it is spent...)

Point 3 has caused some issues in the past, but I think they are all
resolved now. Someone on the current board can confirm the current
situation there.

Point 5 shouldn't be a problem. Jon Davies, with the support of the
board, is putting a lot of effort into making sure all appropriate
safeguards are in place.

So, in conclusion, I'm fairly confident WMUK will participate in those
fundraisers. There is a slight concern that Sue will be biased by her
own opinion that chapters shouldn't be fundraising at all, but I don't
think we'll have a real problem there.

Now, what happens in the 2016-17 fundraiser is anybody's guess. The
WMF board is intending to re-evaluate the whole thing. My hope is that
the 4 fundraising chapters will have demonstrated what a success
chapters fundraising can be and other chapters will be able to
fundraise. It is also possible that the decision will be re-evaluated
before 2016, especially as the membership of the board can be expected
to change (the 2 chapter selected seats will be filled this summer and
the 3 community elected seats will be filled next summer).

There is also going to be a substantial change in how the money raised
is allocated. A new committee is being formed that will review the
budget proposals from the WMF (excluding their core spending),
chapters and anyone else that wants large amounts of money (smaller
grants will continue to be made by the WMF and chapters) and decide
who will get what amount of money. Any money WMUK raises in excess of
the amount the committee decides it should get (not including money
raised in ways other than the annual fundraiser - that money is
completely under WMUK's control), will be donated to the WMF (or
directly to other chapters and organisations that it has been
allocated to, that hasn't been worked out yet).

jon.d...@wikimedia.org.uk

Mar 31, 2012, 5:08:41 PM3/31/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Status quo for a few years. What happened at Coventry today what really counts. Hope it went well.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

From: Thomas Dalton <thomas...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:53:49 +0100

David Gerard

Mar 31, 2012, 5:17:55 PM3/31/12
On 31 March 2012 21:53, Thomas Dalton <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, what happens in the 2016-17 fundraiser is anybody's guess. The
> WMF board is intending to re-evaluate the whole thing. My hope is that
> the 4 fundraising chapters will have demonstrated what a success
> chapters fundraising can be and other chapters will be able to
> fundraise.

Has anyone managed to get solid criteria on this as yet?

> It is also possible that the decision will be re-evaluated
> before 2016, especially as the membership of the board can be expected
> to change (the 2 chapter selected seats will be filled this summer and
> the 3 community elected seats will be filled next summer).

Every five-year plan is actually a six-month plan, yes.

- d.

Thomas Dalton

Mar 31, 2012, 5:28:11 PM3/31/12
On 31 March 2012 22:17, David Gerard <dge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 March 2012 21:53, Thomas Dalton <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now, what happens in the 2016-17 fundraiser is anybody's guess. The
>> WMF board is intending to re-evaluate the whole thing. My hope is that
>> the 4 fundraising chapters will have demonstrated what a success
>> chapters fundraising can be and other chapters will be able to
>> fundraise.
>

> Has anyone managed to get solid criteria on this as yet?

I haven't. We've been promised a Q&A explaining the WMF board's
decisions in more detail. I'm hoping that will contain the solid
criteria.

WereSpielChequers

Apr 1, 2012, 7:28:59 AM4/1/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Good to see the UK and three other chapters can still fundraise via the  annual fundraiser. Bad to see that they are still following their centralisation agenda and limiting it to just those four chapters for the next three years. I'm curious about the motion on dissemination, I think this may be difficult to reconcile with our charitable status. But hopefully that can be resolved by the board of WMUK pointing out that in at least our case the community has to accept that some money will be under decentralised control however much that goes against the wishes of the WMF.

I wouldn't worry about possible further centralisation after 2016, by then the pendulum will have swung and centralisation will be out of favour. The movement is by its nature global and decentralised, you can't work against the grain for long before that reality hits you.

On a broader note I would suggest that the UK prioritise longterm funding streams - payroll giving, and annual direct debits which may have a lower attrition rate than monthly direct debits. Longer term we should think about legacies. One of the flaws of the movement's current fundraising model is the disconnect between our longterm ambitions and the short term nature of our fundraising. I suspect that has already become an issue with the GLAM sector. It would be really cool if in three years time we could say "yes we've only existed for fourteen years, but even if all else went phut tomorrow we already have an endowed data centre that could maintain a read only version on the web for the foreseeable future."

WSC

Chris Keating

Apr 1, 2012, 8:10:04 AM4/1/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
There's a bit more context from the Foundation Board Q&A at the Chapters meeting, here:

I am very pleased that we now have this issue settled. The argument that we collectively made to the Foundation was that we would be able to raise more money for the movement by continuing to participate in the fundraiser (mainly, but not only, via Gift Aid) and also that we would be better able to build relationships with donors, broaden our sources of funding, and potentially involve donors in editing, outreach or other aspects of our work. Wikimedia UK now has the chance to do some great things, which I'm really looking forward to!

The amount of energy this issue has consumed over the last 8 months has been immense - for me particularly, but also for many other people on the Board (and also for the Foundation and other chapters). While it's never going to go away completely, we I think this solution will work. It's a shame that the Foundation decided to decide on the arbitrary inclusion of 4 chapters rather than setting a threshold - this is not what we wanted or what we were arguing for - but this solution is definitely better than continuing arguments...

Also, it's worth pointing out that there are two other  positive outcomes of this process. Firstly the Foundation - in particular the Board - is becoming more transparent, particularly about how different Board members view different debates. Secondly, the Chapters Council has the potential to be a major step forward, and that has only gained momentum because of the ongoing fundraising debate...

*starts writing 2012 fundraising strategy*

Regards,

Chris
Wikimedia UK board

Chris

Charles Matthews

Apr 1, 2012, 1:25:42 PM4/1/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org

On 1 April 2012 12:28, WereSpielChequers <werespie...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

I wouldn't worry about possible further centralisation after 2016, by then the pendulum will have swung and centralisation will be out of favour. The movement is by its nature global and decentralised, you can't work against the grain for long before that reality hits you.

There is a lot to that remark. But in any case, the "hot potato" will have gone tepid by then: the chapters who really want to qualify and have not done so far will presumably have been dealing with the WMF. Enough detailed grant negotiations with staff in San Francisco, and issues of principle may come seem less central than working the system effectively.  (Hey, I  think that happened onsite ... didn't it? Historically.)

Charles

Gordon Joly

Apr 2, 2012, 3:54:59 AM4/2/12
On 01/04/2012 12:28, WereSpielChequers wrote:

> On a broader note I would suggest that the UK prioritise longterm
> funding streams - payroll giving, and annual direct debits which may
> have a lower attrition rate than monthly direct debits. Longer term we
> should think about legacies. One of the flaws of the movement's
> current fundraising model is the disconnect between our longterm
> ambitions and the short term nature of our fundraising. I suspect that
> has already become an issue with the GLAM sector. It would be really
> cool if in three years time we could say "yes we've only existed for
> fourteen years, but even if all else went phut tomorrow we already
> have an endowed data centre that could maintain a read only version on
> the web for the foreseeable future."
Maybe an issue for your (our) next Wikimeet?

Also - "Wikimedia Commons" vs "Archives for All" - where should you
lodge copies of your data?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
gordo...@pobox.com

Roger Bamkin

Apr 2, 2012, 5:03:09 AM4/2/12
to wikime...@lists.wikimedia.org
Agree
--
Roger Bamkin
01332 702993

Tom Morris

Apr 2, 2012, 5:08:39 AM4/2/12

On Monday, 2 April 2012 at 08:54, Gordon Joly wrote:
> Also - "Wikimedia Commons" vs "Archives for All" - where should you
> lodge copies of your data?

Both, and more. Archiving today is a distribution problem, not a trust problem. Make it copyleft/PD, make it easily moveable, let people replicate it and spread it.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>