wmclockmon-0.8.1 (its configuration tool crashes on saving)

Sergei Golovin

Feb 27, 2024, 9:34:49 PMFeb 27
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
wmclockmon is supplied with a configuration utility wmclockmon-config
which crashes on pushing any of two buttons 'Save'.
The cause is it tries to free memory allocated in an external library,
namely by gtk_entry_get_text().
The documentation of the function states that its return value

A pointer to the contents of the widget as a string.
This string points to internally allocated storage in the widget
and must not be freed, modified or stored.

The attached patch fixes the problem

fix_crashes_on_free.patch

Carlos R. Mafra

Feb 28, 2024, 5:08:05 AMFeb 28
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the patch.

But I'm a bit confused. The wmclockmon dockapp is not currently
in the dockapps git repo https://repo.or.cz/dockapps.git/tree

Where is this patch supposed to be applied?

Should we add wmclockmon to the repo?

Jeremy Sowden

Feb 28, 2024, 5:41:32 AMFeb 28
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
The author's dockapps web-page is:

http://tnemeth.free.fr/projets/dockapps.html

The last release, 0.8.1, was made in 2005. The page includes a link to
the source package, but there's no mention of a VCS. He may be amenable
to having it added to the dockapps repo. Probably an idea to ask
first. :)

J.
signature.asc

Sergei Golovin

Feb 28, 2024, 7:56:25 AMFeb 28
to Window Maker Development
Oh, I missed the fact that wmclockmon is not in the repo :-)

It woulg be nice to revitalize it with the patch from archlinux guys
and my another two patches allowing to build two auxilliary utilities
in the package.

среда, 28 февраля 2024 г. в 14:41:32 UTC+4, Jeremy Sowden:

Jeremy Sowden

Feb 29, 2024, 12:25:28 PMFeb 29
to Sergei Golovin, Window Maker Development
On 2024-02-28, at 04:56:25 -0800, Sergei Golovin wrote:
> среда, 28 февраля 2024 г. в 14:41:32 UTC+4, Jeremy Sowden:

> > > Thanks for the patch.
> > >
> > > But I'm a bit confused. The wmclockmon dockapp is not currently in
> > > the dockapps git repo https://repo.or.cz/dockapps.git/tree
> > >
> > > Where is this patch supposed to be applied?
> > >
> > > Should we add wmclockmon to the repo?
> >
> > The author's dockapps web-page is:
> >
> > http://tnemeth.free.fr/projets/dockapps.html
> >
> > The last release, 0.8.1, was made in 2005. The page includes a link
> > to the source package, but there's no mention of a VCS. He may be
> > amenable to having it added to the dockapps repo. Probably an idea
> > to ask first. :)
>
> Oh, I missed the fact that wmclockmon is not in the repo :-)
>
> It woulg be nice to revitalize it with the patch from archlinux guys
> <https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/build2.0.patch?h=wmclockmon>
> and my another two patches allowing to build two auxilliary utilities
> in the package.
>
> the list of the patches <https://svgol.github.io/wmclockmon.html>

Debian is also carrying a number of patches:

https://salsa.debian.org/wmaker-team/wmclockmon/-/tree/master/debian/patches?ref_type=heads

I will compare notes when I get a minute.

J.
signature.asc

Jeremy Sowden

May 11, 2024, 12:35:13 PMMay 11
to Sergei Golovin, Window Maker Development
Three months later. :)

I started with the upstream 0.8.1 tar-ball from Debian, applied the
Debian patches, and then started fixing things. I have also upgraded to
GTK+-3. You can see the work here:

https://salsa.debian.org/azazel/wmclockmon

Next step will be to try getting in touch with the original author to
see what he wants to do.

J.
signature.asc

Thomas Nemeth

May 14, 2024, 12:24:53 PMMay 14
to Window Maker Development
Go on :)
You have my blessings !

But... what about my other dockapps ;) ?

Jeremy Sowden

May 14, 2024, 4:46:57 PMMay 14
to Thomas Nemeth, Window Maker Development
On 2024-05-14, at 09:24:53 -0700, Thomas Nemeth wrote:
> Le mercredi 28 février 2024 à 11:41:32 UTC+1, Jeremy Sowden a écrit :

> > > Thanks for the patch.
> > >
> > > But I'm a bit confused. The wmclockmon dockapp is not currently in
> > > the dockapps git repo https://repo.or.cz/dockapps.git/tree
> > >
> > > Where is this patch supposed to be applied?
> > >
> > > Should we add wmclockmon to the repo?
> >
> > The author's dockapps web-page is:
> >
> > http://tnemeth.free.fr/projets/dockapps.html
> >
> > The last release, 0.8.1, was made in 2005. The page includes a link
> > to the source package, but there's no mention of a VCS. He may be
> > amenable to having it added to the dockapps repo. Probably an idea
> > to ask first. :)
>
> Go on :)
> You have my blessings !

Merci, Thomas.

I will tidy up the work I mentioned elsethread and post it when it's
ready.

> But... what about my other dockapps ;) ?

I will add them to my to-do list. ;)

J.
signature.asc