dockapps up to 256x256 px

Xander

Apr 20, 2021, 3:07:01 AM4/20/21
to Window Maker Development

Hello.
I have a collection of scalable dockapps here: https://gitlab.com/xander1988/dockapps. They can be set, apart from 64x64, to 128x128, 192x192, and 256x256 px. Besides, they also auto-update self when their config files are changed, many colors can be tweaked, etc.
The problem is, as far as I understand, Window Maker doesn't support apps bigger than 96x96. I tried to fix that myself, but the result wasn't satisfactory: it worked, but the size wouldn't change immediately, and in the config app the maximum viewed remained 96, though a bigger size was correctly used. Could you add the new size values please? And maybe you'll like to merge some of my work so that it does not remain a forgotten fork? :-)

Carlos R. Mafra

Apr 20, 2021, 3:27:25 AM4/20/21
to Window Maker Development
That looks good, thanks!

From your description of "not working" it seems that you forgot to change
WPrefs, but that could be done if the rest was in place. Is that the
only aspect of not working? No wmaker crashes?

Do you think you could submit the patches adding the (partial) support
to this list and then state clearly what remains to be done?

I can put your patches in the #next branch and then we see how it
goes.

Xander

Apr 20, 2021, 4:08:13 AM4/20/21
to Window Maker Development
Thanks for the reply.
In fact, I only changed wmaker/WPrefs.app/Icons.c. In static void createPanel(Panel * p), I changed this:
for (i = 24; i <= 96; i += 8) {
        sprintf(buf, "%ix%i", i, i);
        WMAddPopUpButtonItem(panel->sizeP, buf);
    }
to this:
for (i = 24; i <= 256; i += 8) {
        sprintf(buf, "%ix%i", i, i);
        WMAddPopUpButtonItem(panel->sizeP, buf);
    }
The WMaker version I have in my repo is very outdated; I made a diff that appeared to be a bit large, the most lines it introduced are unrelated to what I did. I can't remember tweaking anything else. WMaker did not suffer any crashes or anything. Because of the partial result, I searched for the parts that needed to be modified too, but the lack of skill prevented any further development at that point.
вторник, 20 апреля 2021 г. в 10:27:25 UTC+3, crm...@gmail.com:

Roman Dobosz

Apr 20, 2021, 8:22:14 AM4/20/21
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
> --

That's neat! Given that we have screens with larger resolutions,
that's a nice option to have. I can apply your changes made to
wmamixer :) I guess, that simple scaling option is good compromise to
the real scaling.

Here is how it looks like in all four sizes:
https://i.imgur.com/qGJYSxA.png

--
-^- _ something is grinding the emptiness:
_ /O)_\// Der Spyra - Inclined Plane

Roman Dobosz

May 7, 2021, 2:01:41 PM5/7/21
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:22:11 +0200
Roman Dobosz <gry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's neat! Given that we have screens with larger resolutions,
> that's a nice option to have. I can apply your changes made to
> wmamixer :) I guess, that simple scaling option is good compromise to
> the real scaling.
>
> Here is how it looks like in all four sizes:
> https://i.imgur.com/qGJYSxA.png

For the record, Xander, I've adapted your changes to wmamixer:

https://github.com/gryf/wmamixer/tree/experimental

--
-^- _ something is grinding the emptiness:
_ /O)_\// Blindead - Suicidal

Xander

May 7, 2021, 2:27:52 PM5/7/21
to Window Maker Development
Thank you, Roman. However, I did an updated version of wmamixer,
which is a bit better. The one you adapted was poorly written, and
the new one has certain improvements - like conf file monitoring,
standard GUI proportions, configurable border colors. Of course,
in case you don't mind that it depends on my implementation
of libdockapp, that is :-)

пятница, 7 мая 2021 г. в 21:01:41 UTC+3, gry...@gmail.com:

Xander

May 7, 2021, 2:33:35 PM5/7/21
to Window Maker Development
> The one you adapted was poorly written
MY additions were poorly written, that's what I mean.

пятница, 7 мая 2021 г. в 21:27:52 UTC+3, Xander:

Roman Dobosz

May 8, 2021, 4:10:25 AM5/8/21
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 7 May 2021 11:27:52 -0700 (PDT)
Xander <charle...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Roman. However, I did an updated version of wmamixer,
> which is a bit better. The one you adapted was poorly written, and
> the new one has certain improvements - like conf file monitoring,
> standard GUI proportions, configurable border colors. Of course,
> in case you don't mind that it depends on my implementation
> of libdockapp, that is :-)

Besides X libs, the only dependence I have is the alsa library. I
didn't rely on the libdockapp before, and not sure, if I need to :)
The implementation is not great, I admit ;) there is no coincidence
that I put it on experimental branch - I'm planning to improve it a
bit.

As a side note. Before jumping into changing dockapps, wmaker has to
be updated first, to gain support for that feature.

As for libdockapp, whatever changes you've made to your version of
that lib (didn't look at it yet), for sure it needed to be synced with
upstream one first (or made it a separate library if it doesn't
overlap with the existing functions - it's up to you), before updating
any dockapp - we don't want to break any of them, which are using
original one. Versioning also could help especially for OS packages
maintainers.

And last but not least - in your repository there are dockapps which
are still maintained by original authors (so outside of dockapp
umbrella which is maintained by Doug), so my thinking is, that at
least you should contact them and/or propose a PM/PR to their
repositories.

(I'm also not a fan for keeping bunch of unrelated projects - dockapps
in one repository, since distributing it can be a potential pain, but
meh, its a matter of taste I guess)

Just my 2 cents :)

--
-^- _ enjoying the silence
_ /O)_\//

Gian Uberto Lauri

Nov 27, 2023, 5:12:05 AM11/27/23
to Window Maker Development
Excuse my question, how can I get libdockapp4?

And the documentation for copyXPMArea() call?

--
Gian Uberto Lauri

Roman Dobosz

Nov 27, 2023, 6:05:28 AM11/27/23
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:12:04 -0800 (PST)
Gian Uberto Lauri <gianuber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excuse my question, how can I get libdockapp4?
>
> And the documentation for copyXPMArea() call?

Just look at the Xander repository -
https://gitlab.com/xander1988/dockapps. there is a link for
libdockapp4 repo.

--
-^- _ something is grinding the emptiness:
_ /O)_\// Tool - The Grudge

Gian Uberto Lauri

Nov 27, 2023, 11:21:29 AM11/27/23
to Window Maker Development
Thank you very much!

--
Gian Uberto Lauri
Sent from a tablet

> On 27 Nov 2023, at 12:05, Roman Dobosz <gry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 02:12:04 -0800 (PST)

Jeremy Sowden

Nov 28, 2023, 10:15:21 AM11/28/23
to Gian Uberto Lauri, Window Maker Development
> Excuse my question, how can I get libdockapp4?
>
> And the documentation for copyXPMArea() call?

Not sure about libdockapp4. The canoncical git repo for libdockapp3,
which is the current version, TTBOMK, is:

https://repo.or.cz/dockapps.git
https://repo.or.cz/dockapps.git/tree/HEAD:/libdockapp

Tar-balls:

https://www.dockapps.net/libdockapp

J.
signature.asc

Roman Dobosz

Nov 29, 2023, 4:07:18 PM11/29/23
to wmake...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 17:21:12 +0100
Gian Uberto Lauri <gianuber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much!

Note, that Xander repositories are experimental, and are not part of
official wmaker and/or dockapp projects.

--
-^- _ something is grinding the emptiness:
_ /O)_\// Fantômas - 04/20/05 Wednesday