First hummingbird yesterday afternoon, and sparrows

marlene johnston

Apr 24, 2024, 6:30:15 PMApr 24
to WestKootenayBirds
Hi all,

I’ve seen a couple early reports of a hummingbird in the West Arm and Castlegar area and yesterday afternoon around 4pm a male rufous briefly was at our feeder. We haven’t seen or heard one since. The sparrows have been arriving with several Savannah and White-crowned, a lone Lincoln and a furtive Fox Sparrow which has been around for a few days. Today though, it was singing a fair bit in our yard, lovely.

marlene at lardeau

bcbird...@gmail.com

May 7, 2024, 12:01:59 AMMay 7
to West Kootenay Birds
Nice and I see you got a common grackle! is that in your yard?
mel

marlene johnston

May 7, 2024, 1:32:15 PMMay 7
to bcbird...@gmail.com, WestKootenayBirds
Hi Mel,
Yes, the grackle was in the yard. This is the 3rd time in 15 years that we’ve had one in Lardeau. This one seemed smaller.

I’ve attached the best poor quality photo; works for id purposes! I shrunk the photo size as per Elaine’s request.

I’ve also attached a photo of one of the 3 snow geese that have been hanging around Lardeau. It’s not a high quality photo, but I wanted to share the beauty of the moment with the goose who seemed oblivious to my presence.

marlene at Lardeau

bcbird...@gmail.com

May 7, 2024, 10:31:03 PMMay 7
to West Kootenay Birds
So lovely Marlene! Wow 3 already at your place! So nice to see the snow goose hopefully he heads north soon
Thanks again for the photos!
Cheers
Mel

Elaine M

May 8, 2024, 9:36:44 PMMay 8
to wkb...@googlegroups.com, johnston, marlene
Wow! What a great shot of the Snow Goose, Marlene.

Lovely sizing on the photos! 😊
Elaine